Dimes on edge......
June 14, 2014 02:01PM
In your experience-----what detector/coil combo hits dimes on edge the best?
Re: Dimes on edge......
June 14, 2014 06:24PM
Omega with 5x10 dd

Explorer 4.5x7 Coil

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2014 08:24PM by Keith Southern.
June 14, 2014 08:59PM
Keith Southern Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Omega with 5x10 dd
>
> Explorer 4.5x7 Coil

Keith-----I remember you doing a lot of testing with different detectors/coils on coins on edge in (between) your deck flooring.-----So the two you mentioned here "bested" anything else that you tried in that scenario, right?------How about buried dimes on edge---did you get any different results (as to the best detector/coil combo) with the ground matrix being a factor?------I appreciate your response, thanks.-----------Del
June 14, 2014 09:55PM
In my area and ground the CZ-3D with the 10.5'' coil will hit them deep! I found a paper thin seated dime last year almost completely on edge at a good 10''. The E-trac with the pro coil is no slouch either. These to are the best at deep coins on edge in my area.
June 14, 2014 10:04PM
Garrett AT-Gold or AT-Pro work quite well to.
June 14, 2014 10:33PM
Found my oldest dime an 1839 in a meeting house lawn pounded to death. Toltec 100 showed dime one way and penny the other at 5 inches....dug a plug and there it was in the plug standing straight up. Have found the 10 inch CZ coil for some reason likes coins on edge...
June 14, 2014 10:38PM
I think the direction of the sweep is also critical. I read a similar thread recently at another message room and did my own tests with my 75ltd. Like the CZ3d , when the sweep is perpendicular to the coin it hits both sides well but when you approach parellel the coin disappears completely until you reach almost a 20 degree angle which is about a 6% miss ratio(?). An interesting aspect is how little the coin can vary from directly plumb before it becomes visible again. It's a small window of invisibility but it does exist
June 14, 2014 11:00PM
These are not in iron ....I thought you meant isolated park like...

the two I mentioned work well on edge isolated dimes..

In nails on edge dimes require ultra high freq with tight dd..think gmp...think...DEUS...DTVG...G2...

but for isolated the omega is very good on on edge..and even semi isolated..

I could talk alot about the omega if I could find time to write..Lol..

The omega in 2 tone mode even though the tone breaks at 40 does some amazing things in iron and bad dirt..

Keith
June 14, 2014 11:53PM
Any of the FBS machines with stock or larger coils are deep and deadly on on edge coins of all sizes including half dimes in my infield experience. Often an on edge coin of any depth will pinpoint way off and a lot of plugs are dug and no coin located because of this. I use a uniprobe pocket probe that gets phenomenal depth and has rescued a lot of deep on edge silver from the side wall of 6" dia. plugs .
June 15, 2014 01:40AM
E-Trac and CTX have proven time and time again to hit "any" coin/s on edge for me...

I don't know what it is about FBS machines and coins on edge (or coins under an iron nail/etc) but they sniff them out like no other in my experiences...
June 15, 2014 02:05AM
My Etrac with stock coil and 4.5x7 did very well with coins on edge. My F 75 did well finding coins on edge also.

Dan
The Toltec 100 was a darn nice machine. Loved those old Tesoros.
June 15, 2014 05:08AM
Interesting thread. In open areas with not too much iron I always favored my CZ6a. It hit deep and hard and always ID'd right. In iron the Vista Gold does great but you have no TID to know what it is until you dig because it is only a two tone machine. Just my opinion...Stuart
June 15, 2014 05:15AM
Let me add that the Deeptech RG 1000 V2 should hit harder on dimes because of the 12.5 kz frequency than the Deeptech Vista Gold with its 25kz frequency. I just have not had enough time on this machine to prove the obvious. But very deep and fast recovery speed on both machines. Still no target ID readout if you are park hunting...Stuart
June 15, 2014 02:19PM
Well .....Del...It looks like a lot of Machines...hit a dime on edge good...to me a E-trac...is the best....but that is what ,I use.......I think what ever you are good with will be best..........Heck ..I bet a Ace 250...would do good....Have seen some great finds...with Ace 250...and less Expensive machines....Looks like you are on your own ....on this one......Was fun to hear all the opinons!!!!!
June 15, 2014 04:46PM
Dimes on edge and coin dumps seemed to be something the Etrac/CTX and Gold Bug Pro are good at for me.
June 15, 2014 04:55PM
A lot of great/valid opinions here & I want to thank EVERYONE for their responses---much appreciated.--------I to have found the CTX & Etrac to both do quite well in this regard (hitting dimes on edge).-----I haven't been using my Etrac nearly as much as in the past as have been using the CTX mostly lately but thought they were both very good at hitting on edge coins.-----Another detector that I thought excelled in this regard was the GB Pro (or G2) mounted with the 5 X 10" DD coil.------I need to do some more tests with buried on edge coins in my mineralized ground----a tough combination.--------Thanks again for your responses, they have been very informative & interesting!-------------Del
June 15, 2014 07:03PM
It would so seem that the 12.5 would hit better than the 25 would it not...yet i find the Gold to be the deepest machine on any target in the Deeptech line...

the slow process can open a new world of UNEXPECTEDS on the Gold platform...

when you do test the Rg1000V2 be sure to drop the Gold into slow if it seems like its not keeping up...

Whats funny is the freq is impportant but the platform its adpated to is also very important...

take a DEUS run it on 12 or 18 kHz with a fast reactivity and it works well..

put it on 8khz and keep the reactivity fast and it just does not run right...

high freq can handle fast recovery...slow cant......OR CAN IT????/

take an Omega on 7.8 khz ..should be slow reacting freq wise yet its extrmeley fast.. Fastest low freq machien on the market....How???/ theres more to it than we know...

the simple switch on the DTVG from slow to fast on 25khz can be done to change it from fast surface hunter to deep hunter...

theres alot in designs that can circumvent the freq.....

but for the most part low freqs like high conductors and high freqs like low conductors but the desingers can do what they like with what they want it so seems here lately...

Keith

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/2014 10:17PM by Keith Southern.
June 15, 2014 10:00PM
Right on Keith on the Vista Gold. It is almost mind boggling how well and deep it will hit those tiny silver half dimes !
June 16, 2014 09:53PM
Omega and A T Pro! Both are excellent. HH jim tn
June 16, 2014 11:12PM
The minelab exterra 705 can hit dimes on edge in iron easily.
June 17, 2014 01:35PM
I have been running the 13" Ultimate on my Explorer lately, and can tell you for sure that I'm digging more "on-edge" coins than ever before; they pinpoint HORRIBLY with this coil, but it sure does FIND them...

Steve
June 18, 2014 11:44PM
Del, I have found a Minelab Etrac or SE Pro to find dimes or any other small coin on edge better than any other detector I have used. I just started using a SE Pro again after several years of swinging Whites. The first time I used it at a park where silver has been scarce I found three silver dimes with one being a worn Barber at 7 inches. Completely vertical on the edge of the hole. One way perfect silver signal. Hard to beat any Explorer for deep silver. By the way, the Excelerator 4x7 is an awesome small coil on any Explorer.