Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Question for Tom

Posted by D&P-OR 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Question for Tom
November 21, 2010 12:01PM
Tom------Are you going to test the new Garrett AT PRO?-----What are your thoughts on that detector (at this point)?-----------Thanks, Del
Re: Question for Tom
November 21, 2010 01:37PM
Del,

As of yet, I don't have one in my hands.............but will certainly test one in all aspects........in an unfettered/unbiased fashion..........especially int it's intended/designed hunting applications........should I ever acquire one.
Re: Question for Tom
November 21, 2010 04:18PM
This is a statement from Ky Digger on another forum. It is one of the first responses I have seen,
Hope it is ok to re-post it here......

"I am a Minelab man and detect in the UK a lot as well as USA beaches, parks, and houses. I bought the AT primarily because it is waterproof and I hunt in the mud often in the UK. Just got back last week from mud trip in fact. There was a feature on the old Whites Eagle machines called a "gain". I recall 10 years ago cranking up that gain to get more depth ( bad idea even then). If you've ever done it you know what happens to the audio. It sounds like rolling an empty soup can across aquarium pebbles. It works fine but at the same time it aggravated me to the point of reducing my fun. I think the AT Pro is a machine with the gain cranked up to the max. Could be wrong and more often am, but the reason makes no difference. I just refuse to spend hours at a time listening to loud spits and scratches. I also noticed that even if you discriminate out the items on the AT they sound anyway. What the heck? To make matters worse Garrett says the machine is designed to work without head phone. Say what? The headphone cord is short, and you cannot replace it with another one due to the custom connection. It was constantly pulling off my head when I bend down to dig and the cord often runs across the face of the detector because the connection is in the front of the control box facing the coil. I don't get that at all.

The machine actually runs fine. I dug a war nickel, a cuff button at 6 inches, and a minnie ball in an area I have pounded at least 5 times previously with other machines. Unfortunately, nothing I might find would make it worth listening to the audio. Hope that helps without beating up on the AT. That's not my intention, it just doesn't suit me, but may thrill Garrett users. I didn't want to post the message and sound like I was beating up on Garrett before they even get the AT out of the box".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2010 12:11PM by tmanly.