Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Sentimental attachment to your machines.

Posted by Jressman 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Sentimental attachment to your machines.
May 05, 2016 07:01AM
Any of you guys unable to part way one or more of your machines because of sentimental value it holds? Even if it's now obsolete? For example, I've had my Teknetics T2SE going on 4 years now. It's getting beat looking. It has an electrical tape wrapped handle. It survived being dropped into a creek, came back to life 4 days later hotter than hell! I've found my oldest coin from the early 1600s with it. I've had some of my best days with it. I still use it as my primary scouting and open fields machine. I enjoy it's round punchy tone on deeper coins in 2+ It has the best VCO info on any machine I've used. I refuse to do the DST upgrade, because I like it just the way it is.
If I was offered a brand new T2SE or any other machine as a trade, I'd have to say NO. I feel the same way about my Minelab CTX3030 that I've had since they first came out. Found a lot of beach gold and turf silver with that unit. I've had a bunch of other machines I had no problem with selling. I just can't let go of those 2.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2016 07:19AM by Jressman.
Re: Sentimental attachment to your machines.
May 05, 2016 08:08AM
"It's getting beat looking": If you like it, give it some attention. Wipe it down, try some "paint cutting compound" ( Presta, or whatever you have in the US), touch up the paint, eg. with those 15 cc pots (Humbrol Enamel) used by model makers, or auto supplier touch-up paints. Strip down dirty cam-locks and service them:
[www.metaldetectingforum.co.uk]
Replacement foam pads for the arm cup are available from Fisher / Tek dealers.
How about new coil cable ties? Here's a UK supplier, I'm sure the same product is available in the US:
[www.hookandloopfasteners.co.uk]
"It has an electrical tape wrapped handle": Buy a proper replacement grip, ( it's difficult to fit, you have to dismantle the 'control box' ) - a good alternative is a racket/racquet grip. I've used a tennis one with great success, I've heard grips/wrap for hockey sticks are OK, they are sure to be long.

Many of the folks on here are over-protective of their machines, I'm more practical, to me it's a tool, and it will get dirty, scuffed up, but I do maintain it, as I want it to last, (not least because they cost a lot of money here in the UK).

It should last you another 4 years without too much trouble.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2016 01:40PM by Pimento.
May 05, 2016 01:39PM
The ole saying,,,don't fix it if ain't broke,,,applies..
May 05, 2016 02:15PM
Indeed we all have our favorites ought to cover it...I like the whatever works post...It all comes down to personal preferences and well some like chevies and some like fords kind of thing ....
May 05, 2016 03:08PM
the OP asks about sentimental attachment but does not express any sentimentality. His reasons for keeping the machines are based on performance.

Sentimentality would be "my wife gave it to me" or "it was handed down by my father."

I did buy a used Nautilus after I got back into detecting because my first detector nearly 40 years ago was a Nautilus that I no longer have. That was a sentimental purchase.

Wayne

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?
May 05, 2016 03:34PM
I don't know if it's sentimental,But I have a XL-PRO with the rare Tone Mod. I still take out from Time to Time mainly with the Bigfoot coil as it's best in open area's. I always wanted a Whites Analog type detector growing up , But couldn't afford one. They always had the Main First page ad in the Treasure Mags. I still have a soft spot for Whites as found my first Silver coin with one.
It was 1918s Merc. And was I excited! I will alway's remember that day as I been hooked ever since.
May 05, 2016 05:41PM
I have an old Garrett Deep Seeker 70's vintage and I found a lot of stuff with it--I never sold anything,but the nephew I GAVE all the stuff to just a couple weeks ago showed me a deposit slip for 13,300. Man this Would have paid for all the detectors I ever bought--going to hold on to my stuff from here on out.
May 05, 2016 07:43PM
doc holiday Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have an old Garrett Deep Seeker 70's vintage and
> I found a lot of stuff with it--I never sold
> anything,but the nephew I GAVE all the stuff to
> just a couple weeks ago showed me a deposit slip
> for 13,300. Man this Would have paid for all the
> detectors I ever bought--going to hold on to my
> stuff from here on out.

I take from that you did not expect him to sell it? Bummer!

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?
May 05, 2016 09:39PM
Guilty here. How can I not have an attachment to a machine that has detected so many great coins for me. Old coin finds = pleasure, excitement, smiles, conversation etc.

Like a good tool that makes life more enjoyable and easier. How could I sell a machine that pulled a half eagle from the ground.

Yes, I have sentimental attachments to these units...I know, it's gay, what can I tell ya.
May 05, 2016 11:48PM
I've got all 3 I've had since I started about 3 years ago, and can't bring myself to get rid of any of them. smiling smiley I know there are detectors better at certain things than the F75LTD(2), but to me it's my pride and joy since reading the longest thread on here about it and it'll probably always be my favorite.
May 06, 2016 10:18AM
I would say "YES" because I haven't changed my screen name yet,even after 2 Explorers and a CTX have joined the herd. My IDXPro TAUGHT me how to detect,along with finding my first silver coin and many other fascinating things. Is it relevant? I can still use it and find stuff,so yes. It CANNOT leave unless I ever get to a point where 2-300 bucks is going to make or break me. And that will never happen. It's a useful piece of equipment,and it would be disrespectful,along with dumb,to sell it.
May 06, 2016 02:32PM
ozzie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Guilty here. How can I not have an attachment to a
> machine that has detected so many great coins for
> me. Old coin finds = pleasure, excitement, smiles,
> conversation etc.
>
> Like a good tool that makes life more enjoyable
> and easier. How could I sell a machine that
> pulled a half eagle from the ground.
>
> Yes, I have sentimental attachments to these
> units...I know, it's gay, what can I tell ya.

Hey Ozzie I forgot which detector it was that found the half eagle. I thought is was the CZ-3D? I Always thought if I was lucking enough to find one it would be with my CZ-3D as the enhance feature.
May 06, 2016 03:36PM
I don't keep them if something works better but I like a backup so they also come and go. My memories are in my displays and photos on my wall in my office

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
May 06, 2016 06:26PM
For me it's the Whites 6000. The man that got me into CW relic hunting put me on the unit...went through several others but that unit has a place in the relic room and hold many memories hunting with him and my daughter. The units I have now all have a place and reason to be used but that one will always stay. More so as the relics do in the boxes than swinging.
May 06, 2016 08:59PM
I have a sentimental tug when looking at a Bounty Hunter Tracker IV.

HH
Mike
May 06, 2016 09:03PM
Harold, good memory, that it was.
May 07, 2016 01:44AM
I still have my fav CZ5 and my whites 6000