Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

PID controller

Posted by bfl3 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
PID controller
May 10, 2016 08:00PM
Hello, I wanted to design my own detector circuit. I have no experience as I am a Chemical Engineer by trade, but for a pinpointing function is it possible to use a PID controller to measure the error between the voltage generated from the objects magnetic field at different distances, and the controller can operate a potentiometer connected to a buzzer to give different levels of volume? In Lehmans terms, as the distance from the object increases, the voltage generated decreases and having a controller that can sense that can increase the volume of the buzzer until the detector is far enough away where the controller reaches its voltage set-point of 0 V. Thanks
Re: PID controller
May 10, 2016 08:10PM
Seems plausible..

Might be easier methods but you can use what you Know ..And make it work hopefully.

We use the PID controllers at work to by pass say Valve control devices that have deadband in them...Like when we want to drive a valve shut very quickly..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
Re: PID controller
May 10, 2016 08:51PM
Design your own detector? Surely you would want to keep it simple, and as such, a pinpoint function is not needed. You would either have your detector operate in 'non-motion' mode, where it's effectively always in pinpoint-mode, and you just move the search-coil for max signal volume,.....or you have a 'motion-mode' machine, and you repeatedly sweep the coil over the target location, usually from two directions in a X fashion, until you've determined the centre of the target.
Non-motion machines would include some of the simpler older C-scope ones (CS2 ?, CS660) and doubtless hundreds of others.
Motion machines without a pinpoint function include the Garrett ACE150.

If you want to know more about home construction, take a look on the Geotech1 website. The site owners have written a decent book on the workings of detectors, "Inside the metal detector", if you fancy learning more. There are also manylinks on the site to pdf's of DIY projects published in various electronics magazines etc over the years. Well worth a read.
Kits for DIY enthusiasts can be obtained from UK retailer 'Silverdog'.
[www.geotech1.com]
[www.geotech1.com]
[www.amazon.com]
[www.silverdog.co.uk]