Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

HOT Summer Digs

Posted by Daniel Tn 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
HOT Summer Digs
June 12, 2016 01:14PM
If the last 2 days are any indication of how the summer is going to be, it is going to be miserable. The last few years we haven't had that hot of temps...well for the most part. This year it rained every other day in Dec - Feb and suddenly it went dry and got hot. We had good rain at the start of this week for a couple of days and the ground is already concrete dry with cracks.

I went to the bullet field with a friend who wanted to try his Fors Relic there. It got hot fast in that open field and there is just so much energy wasted digging signals that it zaps you. I found 6 fired minies and my buddy had found zip. He was a bit frustrated with his machine for not being able to find any of the bullets, even when we signal checked them that I had located. He has been interested in a pulse machine so I fired the GPX up for him with the external speaker and walked with him until he had found some bullets. By the time we dug them, we were ready to go.

The next day I went to where the flying eagle came from. I didn't find another one but did find some of my favorite coins. Two came from there and the nickel and one of the other pennies came from my property. Come to find out, there is an old homesite from the early 1900s on the site the camp is on. The indians are late 1880s and one is 1903. Again, it was short hunts due to the heat. Even with drinking lots of water and gatorade, I still ended up with headaches.

I'm liking my MX Sport. I have noticed something interesting about the coins I've been digging. Most all of them are copper...very little silver. I think the reale is the only silver coin I've found with it thus far. But it loves copper coins and buttons.

Re: HOT Summer Digs
June 12, 2016 01:35PM
Very nice, Daniel!
You are doing well with the MXS! I wonder why the Relic seems to struggle so much in your soil? Lots of magnetic components in your ground?

Regardless, glad to see you are doing well with the MXS! Keep it up!!

Dean
June 12, 2016 01:48PM
Dean - Most of the soil here is what we now refer to as 4 bar dirt (on the F75 scale) Occasionally we will even see 5 bar dirt. I bought a 250 pound pull earth magnet a week or so ago and have been playing with it. I can run it across the ground and the whole bottom of the magnet will get covered with rusty rock looking flakes. I'm right in the eastern United States gold belt too, which I have always suspected plays a big role in the mineralization. Hitting relic sites with pulse machines like the GPX are still in the infancy stages around here and is opening up those sites again. The MXS is great for me as far as VLF machine capabilities go. It still wont hold up to a GPX in the ground though as far as depth. But there are some places the GPX is just not suited for and a good VLF machine will get a man by.
June 12, 2016 04:05PM
Some nice finds Daniel.

I know it's hot where I'm at...

Definitely takes its toll on a person,,and fast..

Maybe it will at least rain soon, to soften the ground.

Did you gents by chance bury a 3 ringer at your site,,,and check with the Nokta relic,,and perhaps the MX sport???
June 12, 2016 04:16PM
Nice coins, Daniel. Is that a Buff and did you get a date on it?
BTW, very little silver to copper is the NORM, is it not?

Wayne

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?
June 12, 2016 09:35PM
Nice haul of Injuns there Daniel thumbs down
June 12, 2016 10:43PM
Daniel,
I live and hunt in AZ. Mostly hunt gold nuggets with a Minelab PI unit so I know what you mean by hot ground. Hunting relics with a PI would be interesting. I would imagine you couldn't do it in areas that are too trashy?
We find the occasional relic as a "bye catch" while swinging for nuggets.

I hunted this morning after reading this post and paid attention to the ground balance and ground phase which was 86 and 57 respectively on the Relic. I don't know what that translates in to in "bars".

Do you hunt gold much?

Dean
June 13, 2016 07:21AM
Tnss - We didn't have to bury one. The site has "wild" bullets to test on. I had already been there with the Sport and knew it could do well on the targets. His Relic seemed to handle the soil smoothly but it would need to be in all metal or tone break lowered way down into the iron range to find any bullets, and then you would be forced to dig everything that didn't give a double beep like a nail. You'd be in trouble if it was the only machine you had.

NcWayne -- No date that I can see on the buffalo nickel. I'm not much of a coin hunter; I'm just finding the ones where relic sites overlap. I did briefly get into it when I had the eTrac and CTX but it seemed like I dug a lot more silver with them. Nothing old though...just mercs and silver Rosies.

Dean - If it wasn't for the trash and EMI in some sites, I would hunt with the pulse machine all the time. They sure handle the soil better around here. As for the gold hunting. I got into panning and running a sluice box for a couple years. We even bought a dredge but never got to use it due to TN outlawing it. They updated the panning laws too and made it illegal to hunt the better areas in the national forest. I go to Georgia every now and then at some of the "pay to play" sites for gold but haven't been in several years.
June 13, 2016 09:15PM
Daniel the way this summer's goin' your ground will be double hot! Figuratively and literally.grinning smiley
June 14, 2016 04:08PM
Nice digs Daniel..

I have found these old house sites in the rural south hold a good bit of injuns..not a lot if silver on a normal basis..plus the injuns are usually what's left if a cherry picker meter watcher has been in before you...

They ignore Indians as they usually read screw cap on the meters..And dirty buffs are usually left as they dont read nickle...

High coins are easy pickins those low coins are left and also in the rural south there was no high coins in abundance Saud to say..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla