Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

XP Goldmaxx Power questions

Posted by Chris Woods 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
XP Goldmaxx Power questions
June 13, 2016 10:53PM
I modified the original post for the sake of brevity. The pertinent info/questions are intact, I just cut out some of the frivolous stuff.

I just picked up a used GMP from treasure classifieds and when it arrived today I took it out on the deck. I have taken Keith's between the nails/boards experiment to what might be considered a bit of an extreme.
I have a clad dime, a zincoln, a newer nickel and a clad quarter hot glued on edge between the boards of my deck.
I use this setup as Keith does to somewhat evaluate a detector's recovery speed.

Having said all of that, I have a couple of questions that I hope fellow GMP owners can answer for me.

1.) Should I be able to disc out the heads of the nails holding the deck together? I ask because I can't get this machine to do it. It's not a problem as they respond with a low tone. I just want to make sure the detector is functioning properly.

2.) How high can you lift the coil above the on edge dime sitting snuggled between the nail heads on your deck and still get a "dig me" signal? I'm getting 7" give or take 1/4". This blows me away. Is it common for the GMP to be able to do this?

Thanks in advance for your input,
Chris

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2016 08:53PM by Neugene.
Re: Hey XP Goldmaxx Power owners, can you answer a couple of questions?
June 14, 2016 02:05AM
I don't have a Gold Max's power detector.

Did you get a user's manual with your unit???

If not this link may help you,,,pages 11-12 looks like is what you are referring/ asking about.

[www.xpmetaldetectors.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2016 02:07AM by tnsharpshooter.
June 14, 2016 02:44AM
Thanks TNSS, I have been looking for answers to the two questions I asked in my first post and I re-read owners manual. I think it is a problem of semantics. When I think of discrimination I think of silencing a range of targets.
If I now understand it correctly the Iron Threshold control on the GMP is an iron audio break control. To "discriminate" let's say square nails in the way most machines do it you need to set the Iron Threshold control just high enough to cause the square nails report as a low tone AND turn the Iron Volume all the way down. This will silence everything from square nails on down.
June 14, 2016 11:09AM
This is a thread dealing with field test

Mr Dankowski started.

You may not have seen.

[www.dankowskidetectors.com]

Something I would like to see done.

I don't know the date of the latest version for Goldmaxx power,,,but would like to see Deus go head to head on separation/ unmasking version 3.2 version latest version Goldmaxx power,,both wearing 9" coils. And run Deus in full tones disc setting 2.5.....

Now this could be a wate of time,,,as version 4 from Xp for for Deus nears release.

Would be interesting to see anyway.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2016 11:45AM by tnsharpshooter.
June 14, 2016 03:54PM
Congrats on your XP Gmp..!!!.

And glad your using the Nail deck test ...funny how that has caught on.i get feedback quite regularly on people using it..that makes me happy..and yes it does give some good DEMENSION to a above ground test..

As far as the low tone for nails being heard is correct..and I assume your not wanting to hear the low tone?..if you don't... turn the iron volume back or all the way off if you like..

also if you just want it to be in two tone Vs 3 tone you can flip silencer from position 1 to position 2 twice within 2 seconds and it will become a 2 tone unit Ferrous and non ferrous ..and you can silence the ferrous with the iron volume and essential have a single/mono tone..

And also the height your experiencing the correct tonal report for the coins is correct..that coil is very tight at depth..

Welcome to the GMP world..!..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
June 14, 2016 06:08PM
I have a New Unused XP hip-mount bag For Sale if you want one? $ 25.00
June 14, 2016 08:47PM
Des, you must be psychic. I have honestly been thinking about where I might get an XP hip mount bag off and on since the detector arrived yesterday. I had a Minelab hip mount bag that probably would have worked but I gave it to a forum member a couple of weeks ago (before I bought the GMP).

I'll gladly take it. PM me and let me know your preferred method of payment and I'll get it to you right away.

THANK YOU!
Chris
Re: XP Goldmaxx Power questions
June 14, 2016 10:04PM
Hah hah!

That's funny Chris!

A member posted several bags and hip- mount bags, asked what I thought was "Crazy Eddie" money and Sold them!!!

I was stunned!!!

I have similar bags and all are New. ( Minelab Sov Hip-Mount bags navy blue)

I'll pm ya...
June 15, 2016 01:59AM
I should have said thank you to Keith and TNSS as well in my last post but I've got a little A.D.D. problem that hits me about 99% of the time.

TNSS, Tom, in his field test of the GMP, stated that in his dirt the Deus has a slight advantage in separation and the GMP has an edge on depth. I don't think I have the skill set to nail down anything more than that.

Keith, for reasons that I have learned from this forum over the years, I prefer hearing the iron. I was however confused about how the Iron Threshold worked. Now that I know it's really an iron break control and its working perfectly, I'm in love with it.
June 15, 2016 03:07AM
Neugene Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I should have said thank you to Keith and TNSS as
> well in my last post but I've got a little A.D.D.
> problem that hits me about 99% of the time.
>
> TNSS, Tom, in his field test of the GMP, stated
> that in his dirt the Deus has a slight advantage
> in separation and the GMP has an edge on depth. I
> don't think I have the skill set to nail down
> anything more than that.
>
> Keith, for reasons that I have learned from this
> forum over the years, I prefer hearing the iron. I
> was however confused about how the Iron Threshold
> worked. Now that I know it's really an iron break
> control and its working perfectly, I'm in love
> with it.

You are quite welcome.

I would like to run a Goldmaxx power one day,,,even for a short bit.
Just an itch I have,,but not a $500 itch I want to scratch.

Look forward in watching what you pull with your iron monster.
June 15, 2016 06:57PM
Okay, I took a run at comparing the GMP and the Deus using Keith's dime between two decking boards test. I am somewhat puzzled by the result. No matter how "wrong" I set the GMP up I could not make it fail the test. The Deus however is a different story. Using the stock GMP program the Deus' performance was not equal to that of the GMP. Raising the reactivity to 3 and lowering the discrimination helped but the GMP still just seemed more sure of itself if that makes sense. At this point it could be as simple as operator error or lack of knowledge.
One thing I definitely learned from this test is that my brother and I are going to have a lot of fun pitting these two machines against each other over the next few months.
June 17, 2016 01:20AM
Chris, I should have sent the pages from my field book notes with the unit. If you'd like, I'll scan and email them to you. Might be of some assistance in shortening the learning curve. I keep a log of each hunt with each detector that has the settings and response to each item found. Helps me a ton. I was in slow class in school!
June 18, 2016 04:49AM
Thanks Nate, when you have the time to scan them I would love to read all the info you have on the GMP.
So far I've been having a blast with it. Having not used my DMC-2b in a while I had almost forgotten how much I enjoy using a detector with no meter/display. It also reminds me of how much time I spend putzing around with the myriad of controls most modern machines have as well as the misplaced faith I sometimes have in their visual target ID.