Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Fisher CZ3D - Gold Rings

Posted by tabman 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Fisher CZ3D - Gold Rings
June 17, 2016 02:35PM
I have a few sports fields in mind that were built around the early 50's that are loaded up beaver tail pull tabs, stay-tabs, zinc pennies, copper pennies, clad coins and some can slaw. With all this hot weather, I've taken a few days off from detecting and have spent some time out in my shaded yard testing the CZ3D on different targets.

The first thing that amazed me was that the CZ3D can easily distinguish between a modern stay-tab off of a coke can and a nickel. The conductivity of the two are pretty damn close and a lot of detectors can't easily distinguish between the two. Also the CZ3D can easily ID's and discriminate out beaver tail pull tabs.

Here's my plan and settings to detect these sites for gold rings. Enhanced mode, notch set at beaver tail pull tab. Dig only the high tones that ID as nickels on the screen and dig all 'foil' audio tones. I figure the vast majority of gold rings are going to fall in the 'foil' range and some in the nickel range. That being the case, I should only be digging foil, nickels, can slaw and gold rings.

That's the plan anyway.smiling smiley Yeah, yeah, I know dig it all and I won't miss anything, but it's really hot out there. Any suggestions would be welcome.

tabman

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2016 02:59PM by tabman.
Re: Fisher CZ3D - Gold Rings
June 17, 2016 02:51PM
Well the foil nickle range should cover a majority of gold rings lost but you will miss the larger lower kt. such as College and School graduation rings...certainly high percentage wise without digging all...and yes this includes those thin womens rings with valuable stones...
June 17, 2016 03:30PM
Gold is tough on every detector and I have had a lot of them over the years. You just got to dig and pray at the same time..One month I found six gold rings with my Fisher F 75 all deep and all at baseball fields that dads played at with their kids...

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
June 17, 2016 03:52PM
Gerald, you should do well with your game plan as you are not adversed to digging. Dan, though, is right on the class rings. On the 6a and 3d I had most I found were up into the penny range. Good luck, and yeah, it is hot out there. HH jim tn
June 17, 2016 04:09PM
On my cz 6a and cz 5 the larger rings I have found that were 10k gold fell in the zinc/relic range and small women's gold rings fell in the foil range.
June 17, 2016 06:19PM
tabman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Here's my plan and settings to detect these sites
> for gold rings. Enhanced mode, notch set at beaver
> tail pull tab
. Dig only the high tones that ID as
> nickels on the screen and dig all 'foil' audio
> tones. I figure the vast majority of gold rings
> are going to fall in the 'foil' range and some in
> the nickel range. That being the case, I should
> only be digging foil, nickels, can slaw and gold
> rings.

tabman,
You do understand the CZ3D doesn't have a notch setting?

Otherwise, looks like a solid plan that will...eventually...produce gold rings/jewelry.
Good luck, and don't melt.
smiling smiley
mike

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2016 06:23PM by Mike in CO.
June 17, 2016 06:42PM
Yes the CZ3D does have a notch setting. When I set the discrimination dial to 'beaver tail pull tabs', them and the modern day stay-tabs are notched out. I can still detect foil and nickels which are on a discrimination scale lower than what I notched out. Also I can detect the larger square tabs, zinc pennies, clad and silver coins that are on a discrimination higher than what I notched out.

tabman
June 17, 2016 07:26PM
Sounds like a good plan to me.

Good luck,
HH
Mike
June 17, 2016 08:43PM
You lost Me on the notch?
June 17, 2016 08:56PM
never mind.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2016 09:07PM by cadman.
June 17, 2016 09:07PM
You are correct cadman...the discrimination on the analog CZ's are linear. So no clue how the tabman can notch out pull tabs and still get foil on his 3D. Plus, nickles are actually HIGHER on the scale. Unless my eyes and mind are going crazy.
June 17, 2016 09:29PM
Therover61,

Sorry that I edited my post while you were posting.

After I thought about it....I think what he is doing is discing out to the first beavertail pull tab.... Leaving foil, new pulltab and nickel. I think....
June 17, 2016 09:40PM
I thing tabman has had one too many! LOL!
You sure your not using a digital CZ?
June 17, 2016 10:38PM
Per Andy S's book...84% of the gold rings he tested on an analog CZ fall into the ring tab, foil and square tab range.

June 17, 2016 10:44PM
Good Lord! Surely someone on this site knows how to properly operate a CZ3D. I can throw a bunch of beaver tail pull tabs out on the ground and all of them will be discriminated out if I have the discrimination knob set to the 'beaver tail' pull tab icon. Most anyone you detects knows that common beaver tail pull tabs are higher on the discrimination scale than nickels and foil. When the discrimination is set at the 'beaver tail' pull tab icon the beaver tail pull tabs are silent (notched out), nickels give a high audio tone and foil gives a audio tone that is slightly higher than the iron audio tone. Up higher on the discrimination scale and above beaver tail pull tabs, zinc pennies, a dimes etc. will give a high audio tone. Maybe I have a special CZ3D. LOL

tabman
June 17, 2016 11:06PM
Something aint' right tabman. If you can hear a low-mid tone on foil range targets ( and needle landing on foil), while you have the discrimination setting at 4 (eliminating square tabs), then you really do have a special 3D !

You running in Enhanced or Salt mode ? Either way the discrimination should be the same (but some old coins will ID with a high tone instead of a mid tone in Enhanced).

Did you buy that 3D used ? There are a few out there that do not discriminate or ID properly. I had one. Tom D could not correct it. Sold it ( and informed the buyer it was wacky but he bought it anyway) cheap. Don't remember the serial number.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2016 11:09PM by therover61.
June 17, 2016 11:53PM
I think tabman has been out in the sun too long. Thats not technically a notch set up as you will still disc. Everything below that level.
June 17, 2016 11:55PM
therover61 Wrote:
> Something aint' right tabman. If you can hear a
> low-mid tone on foil range targets ( and needle
> landing on foil), while you have the
> discrimination setting at 4 (eliminating square
> tabs), then you really do have a special 3D !
>
> You running in Enhanced or Salt mode ? Either way
> the discrimination should be the same (but some
> old coins will ID with a high tone instead of a
> mid tone in Enhanced).
>
> Did you buy that 3D used ? There are a few out
> there that do not discriminate or ID properly. I
> had one. Tom D could not correct it. Sold it ( and
> informed the buyer it was wacky but he bought it
> anyway) cheap. Don't remember the serial number.

I never said 'square tab', I said beaver tail pull tab ( #2 on the discrimination). I even went and double checked with my Vaquero and F75DST. The beaver tail pull tabs that I'm using all discriminate out higher than a nickel does. The modern stay-tab off of a coke can that I'm using discriminated out slighter higher than a nickel when tested with my Vaquero and F75DST. The CZ3D is working just fine. It does notch out a beaver tail pull tab and still sound off on foil, nickels and dimes, quarters etc.

tabman
June 18, 2016 12:15AM
That's why I said in my statement my eyes and mind are going crazy !!! HA ! I got confused when you said notch. The analog CZ's do not have a notch capability like the digital units in the sense that you can knock out one particular conductivity range. What is happening is you are discriminating beaver tails on down in the conductivity range and and foil on the CZ is above that range.

In any event, you have a good strategy for sniffing gold rings. Hope you find lots of them.
June 18, 2016 12:19AM
That's still not a notch.
June 18, 2016 12:45AM
Harold,ILL. Wrote:
> That's still not a notch.

Call it what you want. Targets that have a lower and higher conductivity than a 'beaver tail' pull tab still sound off and ID when I put the discrimination knob on #2 to eliminate them. LOL

One other thing, square tabs off of a modern day coke can have a lower conductivity than some of the older ones. The CZ3D will discriminate them out and their conductivity is slightly higher than a nickel but lower than most beaver tail pull tabs. They are eliminated and nickels still sound off. Ever what it's doing, I like it.

tabman

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2016 01:22AM by tabman.
June 18, 2016 01:45AM
Dan-Pa. Wrote:
> Well the foil nickle range should cover a majority
> of gold rings lost but you will miss the larger
> lower kt. such as College and School graduation
> rings...certainly high percentage wise without
> digging all...and yes this includes those thin
> womens rings with valuable stones...

X2 and cz6a also can tell a p-tab from nickles better than any.

------------"Cz's still bad to the bone".------------
Living on a big ass Astroid.
The woman that got my rib,I want it back.
June 18, 2016 06:15AM
Tab, the problem I see with your strategy is that the best way to tell the cz high tone iron falses from good targets is with discrimination on 0. And the cz-3d is the least fatiguing detector I've ever used when it comes to listening to all targets.

Per the Sabisch graphic, if you dig all the good high and foil tones in salt mode which would be the preferred mode based on the age of the fields, your expectation would be that you would dig 54% of all potential gold rings. Plus you would be digging all potential coins, including silver.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2016 06:22AM by marcomo.
June 18, 2016 08:18AM
therover61 Wrote:
> You are correct cadman...the discrimination on the
> analog CZ's are linear. So no clue how the tabman
> can notch out pull tabs and still get foil on his
> 3D. Plus, nickles are actually HIGHER on the
> scale. Unless my eyes and mind are going crazy.

i believe you designed the cz's disc circuit didn't you?
ehe! he! he! i say this because you know a hell of a lot about the cz's!
same as "dan the cz man!"

(h.h.!)
j.t.
June 18, 2016 08:22AM
Harold,ILL. Wrote:
> I think tabman has been out in the sun too long.
> Thats not technically a notch set up as you will
> still disc. Everything below that level.

age and the sun sure do raise havoc with "gray matter!"..ya all got that right!
wife reminds me all the time!..god bless her!

(h.h.!)
j.t.
June 18, 2016 10:09AM
I see right now that a video is in order. When I set the discrimination knob on #2 (beaver tail pull tab reject) the CZ3D is still able to detect foil which is lower in conductivity and its still able to detect a quarter which is higher in conductivity. It's eliminating (notching) a target that's in between two others, one with a lower conductivity and the other with a higher conductivity. Anyone who says that's not possible on my CZ3D put your money down.smiling smiley

tabman
June 18, 2016 10:24AM
Discing out round tab, the cz3d audio will still sound off on foil.....it's the next click up.....zero disc - iron - round tab - foil - square tab - nickle....etc.

As far as notching in between metals, the cz3d doesn't do that.

I keep editing because other things come to mind......Tabman, I see what you're saying......The square tab may be seen as a round tab (disc set on round pull tab) with your cz and it seems like the unit is notching out square tab, leaving in foil....calibration may be in order unless you prefer it that way.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2016 10:46AM by ozzie.
June 18, 2016 11:28AM
I think what Tabman is trying to say is that on all other machines the ring pull will not disc out before foil but on the cz it does. Of all my machines, the CTX, Deus, F75, Fors relic, all my Tesoros, only my CZ 6a and CZ 5 is capable of that, making it truly unique.
June 18, 2016 03:35PM
Welgund Wrote:
> I think what Tabman is trying to say is that on
> all other machines the ring pull will not disc out
> before foil but on the cz it does. Of all my
> machines, the CTX, Deus, F75, Fors relic, all my
> Tesoros, only my CZ 6a and CZ 5 is capable of
> that, making it truly unique.

Bingo! I'm accustom to going by the conductivity scale from low to high. Nail, foil, nickel, pull tab, zinc, dimes etc. On the CZ3D I can eliminate (disc out, notch out) beaver tail pull tabs and still the be able to detect the lower and higher conductors. This is a good thing since most of the gold rings are found in the foil range.

tabman
June 18, 2016 04:28PM
I feel somewhere along the way we are intertwining disc. and notch.....Analog CZ's disc. and with digital CZ's you can notch. In any case he is concentrating on nickle and foil which should get him approx. 50 percent according to the posted scale including engagement rings with valuable stones. In addendum foil area is the top gold ring getter on any unit..now lets move on...