Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

F75 advice from experts wanted.

Posted by marcomo 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
F75 advice from experts wanted.
June 28, 2016 04:24AM
A couple months ago I bought Keith Southern's F75 Camo V2 detector that he had since it came out Feb 2015. I remembered the posts Keith had made shortly after he got the detector were very positive and he promised that the detector was super quiet and super deep. And it definitely is.

This is the third F75 I've had. There are many things I love about the F75. Ergonomics, fast recovery, pinpoint trigger, short learning curve for a flagship detector and of course, depth.

The two things that broke me away from the F75 were the audio and EMI issues.

Well I had a chance to get an F75 with the EMI issue resolved so I jumped.

I should love this detector. I found a 1919 wheatie Saturday at 8.5" - with the elliptical coil. The deepest coin I've ever measured with a smaller than stock coil. And quiet. FT has definitively fixed the EMI problem here.

But I'm having trouble getting past the audio. It really grates on me. A very annoying, primitive digital sound to my ears. Yes, I'm making good finds. But the audio feels like work, not fun.

I know this is a special detector and I want to make it work. Any suggestions from F75 users who originally struggled with the audio?
Re: F75 advice from experts wanted.
June 28, 2016 06:24AM
Been using the F75 since the LTD was released in 2009, and I've found the 3H tones to be the easiest to use. I agree it has an artificial digital sounding audio (especially compared to Minelab's audio).
June 28, 2016 09:36AM
I'm on my 3rd one as well and really never gave the tones much thought. They are what they are. Like Brian, I, too, use mostly 3H tones. Good luck, they are great detectors. HH jim tn
June 28, 2016 11:47AM
Maybe try different headphones, is all I can come up with.
June 28, 2016 12:17PM
I use an F70, a cousin with many similar features, and I use 3H and 4H tones when cruising parks looking for coins and jewelry and when I don't really want to stare at the screen all the time.
I tried DP tones too but haven't got the hang of that yet.
I have found some pretty good targets deep and sometimes masked in those higher modes too.
However when I really want to get down and dirty I found, after much practice, using the lower three choices, 1, 1F and 2F gives me the best, fastest response with the most info and the least amount if EMI problems since I don't have DST on this one available and I do tend to hunt on some higher settings.
Mostly monotone has become my favorite when I am not in all metal because for me it is the least mentally fatigueing because it does not have that added modulation which is fairly intense in the trash and iron infested sites I usually hunt.
You have to look at the screen all the time in these modes which also took a little practice but is now very comfortable for me and I have been able to pick out some real winners that were fairly deep and/or severely masked.
I also usually hunt with the disc on 1 to get the best picture of what is going In the dirt below me because I like to take in all information and use my brain to make digging decisions using target behavior I see on the screen and the strength and sound I hear in those tones...even monotone which does have its own colorful language if you listen to it enough.

I know on the F75 you have something I don't...adjustable audio pitch which can lower and raise the frequency of the sound of targets.
All people are different with different types of hearing.
I know that there are some settings on mine I don't like listening to much if I can help it, setting the thresh into higher positive numbers skews the tones into areas I don't enjoy in 3-4H for instance, but in the lower tone choices it is not much of an issue.
Maybe play with that audio pitch thing a little in whatever tone mode you prefer to use to find something you like better and can deal with and enjoy?

All I can say is when I first got mine the tones and sounds I heard were very confusing even though I had several hundred hours getting used to a little part of the Fisher language using an F2, there was just a whole lot more to learn on the upper end Fishers.
It took time and lots of hunting getting practice listening to and learning to understand what I was seeing and hearing to get better at this stuff and still managed to find some great treasure along the way throughout that initial learning curve.
Eventually it all started to click using many different tones and settings and all metal so even though my volume of finds suffers a bit while I was experimenting and learning initially that volume increased exponentially when I started to get a handle on all this and more than made up for any volume of targets lost during that time experimenting in the beginning.
At first I can't say I really enjoyed listening to most of the signals I heard in any of the tone modes but over time something changed and I can say honestly on most I now do with my settings tweaked just right in my comfort zones.
The fact that I was able to find more and more great treasure in some very difficult sites and conditions as I got better really raised my enjoyment levels as I gained experience.
Right now I can't imagine enjoying hunting any more than I do now using any other detector.
Anything worth doing, learning, understanding takes practice and this is no different because none of it is innate.
Some are quicker at this than others, some are a bit slower, but with patience and experience we all get there eventually.
The Fishers have a rich and very information filled language once you get used to it and learn to understand it, it just takes a little time to recognize and understand what your fine tool is actually telling you.
In my experience this would be time well spent no matter how long it takes which usually is not all that much.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2016 01:06PM by diggwr27.
June 28, 2016 12:35PM
Like the gent has said above,,,adjusting pitch on AM side of screen,,,this will carry over and affect tone provided in disc-- will make the high tones in disc a bit sparkier sounding.
June 28, 2016 02:27PM
Thank you to all who have responded, I appreciate the advice.

Especially thanks to diggwr27 for taking the time to detail your trip through the F70 learning curve. An excellent and inspiring post!
June 28, 2016 02:54PM
marcomo,
Turn your detector to use the 1n tones. It will vastly simplify the tones and you can focus on the single tone quality for a while. It makes hunting so much simpler to start by tone quality. You can then let the disc on 0, and although it shows all items including iron, the iron is muted. Try it for 3 or 4 hunts exclusively. It is like a completely different detector using it.