Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Sorex Pro...where to buy?

Posted by Daniel Tn 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Sorex Pro...where to buy?
July 02, 2016 05:04AM
After reading about them and watching videos, I have decided on trying a AKA Sorex Pro. Now the big question...where to buy one from? Do any of you guys have a recommendation or perhaps a used one you might part with? I contacted Igor but haven't heard anything back. As far as I knew, he was the goto guy on them. I was thinking of getting one with the 6x10 14khz coil and maybe a larger coil. I don't even know what they cost but figured why not give one a try.
Re: Sorex Pro...where to buy?
July 02, 2016 05:59AM
I just made a trade for one with the 6x10 yesterday. Only had a few minutes to check it out so far. I think they go for about $800 new. From what I've heard coils are hard to come by. On eBay AKA has a listing for a few coils and it says in the description that the coils are not really for sale, but they're trying to see how much interest people have in buying one. The one I looked at is a 9x12 with a three frequency switch at the plug. Neat idea if you can get one.
July 02, 2016 08:44AM
If you decide you don't like it, give me a shout. I really want to give one a go here.
July 02, 2016 12:05PM
I was able to trade a Racer and a little bit of cash for it so I said why not. It was bought June 1st, so it's about new. I don't know when or if I'll sell it, although I probably will like just about everything else. After I get a month or so on it, I'll be glad to ship it to you to try out if you want.
July 03, 2016 02:07AM
Sounds good to me. I'm interested to see if it handles the red dirt here any better than the Minelab FBS machines. 5-6 inches is about tops on a coin in this soil with a good ID and tone with an FBS/FBS2. Albert said he got better depth out of the AKA machines vs the Minelab FBS units.
July 03, 2016 02:11AM
sorex pro >>>> [www.akadetectors.com]

I'm more interested in the Signum MFT 7272 myself (more machine) >>>> [www.akadetectors.com]
July 03, 2016 02:17AM
Looks like the Signum MFD is their top of the line machine, judging by price.
July 03, 2016 03:13AM
Shenandoah Digger Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Looks like the Signum MFD is their top of the line
> machine, judging by price.

Don't know if it is true or not,,,but this model,,I've seen some folks comment GB is more crude or trickier vs some of the detectors little brothers and sister model.

I would like to try a few models of these though. Who knows I might like them.
July 03, 2016 01:05PM
It says on the manual, "Don't be lazy. Read it first!", and that couldn't be more true. The manual is very confusing because someone used Google to translate from Russian to English, and beyond that, I think it's from an earlier Sorex version that used different letters for the algorithms. And some functions don't work like the manual says, so you've got to peck around to find how it really works. But beyond that, it works similar to a Nautilus, running two channels simultaneously. Not like the mixed mode of some other detectors where there's really only one channel running. I've only got the 6x10 coil, but I can make it hit everything in my test garden in pretty bad soil. I'd love to get the 9x12 coil with the three frequency switch, but all of their coils seem hard to come by. Maybe eventually. The hodograph is pretty cool, if only as a novelty. The volume without headphones is a little lacking, but even deep targets where the hodograph shows a very short line sound as good as a shallow target. I'm sure it's adjustable where the volume changes similar to a VCO, but I've only got an hour in it, and haven't gotten that far. I don't think the Sorex is as involved as an Etrac or some of the White's with programs inside programs, but the manual and how it's written make it a little confusing. But so far I think it's a neat machine. How it performs on real targets we'll have to see. Maybe when I ship it to Daniel he'll do a video of it. Or if Keith wants to give it a try. But making videos is not my thang. Maybe after I get my SAG card I'll consider it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2016 01:08PM by Shenandoah Digger.
July 03, 2016 01:22PM
Keith tested one of the AKA machines but I don't remember which one. He posted a short initial impression of it and then went quiet. From what he has said in the past, if he doesn't like a machine, he will just keep quiet about it instead of posting its weaknesses on the forums. He likes to focus on what a machine can do vs what one cannot do. I took it from his silence, that he wasn't too impressed with it. But his style of hunting is totally different than mine. He hunts thick iron in and around homesites. I hunt dug in winter campsites, railroad bridges, creek fording spots, skirmish sites, etc. A lot of my sites are still open pasture and wooded areas, and the only iron is farm junk. The exception is the dug in camps, where you encounter ration cans, barrel bands, square nails, etc and good stuff mixed with it.
July 03, 2016 04:03PM
Well Keith has forgotten more than I'll ever know, but I thought it did well in my test bed with quite a bit of iron. But that's not real world hunting. It's got a lot of adjustments that might be useful, adjustable tones and the like, and the manual says for target ID that a +30 to +50 is a golden chervonet of Nicholas II, so I'm looking forward to digging one of those.