Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

a note for MX Sport users

Posted by ncwayne 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
a note for MX Sport users
July 13, 2016 03:54PM
Today, while anticipating arrival of my 3rd try for an MX Sport where everything works and no update is required, I repacked the first two units. On the first one, which I used for a couple weeks, I removed the cover from the stock coil and noticed it had an accumulation of chaff (from swinging in wheat stubble) and fine dirt that had collected between the cover and coil. I like the fact that the coil cover comes off quite easily compared to those on my other detectors, but on close examination upon reattachment of the cover, I noticed that there are considerable gaps between the cover and coil.
I don't know that any falsing issues arose from the accumulated chaff and dirt in the coil cover, but I don't know that did not happen, either. I know that with my new MX Sport, or the "n"th one (in case I have to send more units back to get a good one), I will be removing my coil cover periodically to clean out the mess.

I had posted previously about the way I handled the pigtail that comes with the MX Sport to permit use of std quarter inch jacks on most headphones. While packing the one I had assembled and used, I took a picture of my fix. As stated previously, it consisted of routing the female jack partially through the molded in stand on the bottom of the battery housing and connecting a hook and loop fastener around the female jack body and then wrapping the loose end of that fastener around the stand arm to anchor the female jack in place. It works quite well, eliminating the pigtail swinging around and catching on stuff. Here's a picture:

HTH some of you.

Wayne

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?
Re: a note for MX Sport users
July 13, 2016 04:47PM
Hi Wayne,

Yes, I too had a TON of "debris" under my coil cover after the first two forays, one in grass the other a sand beach and when it was removed the bath flowed black for a few seconds as I cleaned it in the shower.
You're also right in that it comes off and snaps back on easily enough too. But the coil I got was so irregularly poured there were 'bumps and hillocks' all over and it took several 'snaps' to make sure it was back on properly.

Best of luck with your next one!!!

Des D

PS (don't know how to post photos so I can't show the coil's bad finish)
July 13, 2016 05:31PM
Wayne,
I read your post here 4 times.

May I ask what was wrong with your first I think first 2 units???
July 13, 2016 08:34PM
Des D Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi Wayne,
>
> Yes, I too had a TON of "debris" under my coil
> cover after the first two forays, one in grass the
> other a sand beach and when it was removed the
> bath flowed black for a few seconds as I cleaned
> it in the shower.
> You're also right in that it comes off and snaps
> back on easily enough too. But the coil I got was
> so irregularly poured there were 'bumps and
> hillocks' all over and it took several 'snaps' to
> make sure it was back on properly.
>
> Best of luck with your next one!!!
>
> Des D
>
> PS (don't know how to post photos so I can't show
> the coil's bad finish)

Hi Des D -

I take it that there is a service center in the UK for White's so the teething problems with the MXS possibly is not a huge inconvenience for someone like you sir, when it comes to replacing/updating/fixing the MXS issues -

As OP has pointed out that they have had to send their MXS in twice to White's for upgrades etc -

I live in NZ where there is no White's Dealer/Agent so we have to ship the item back to the USA for these upgrade's/repairs to be carried out of which, you would not get much change out of $250 - $300 return shipping - Do that once and of course, you get a little miffed but do it twice and it then becomes a financial headache - All of this just to get a metal detector to the standard it should have been when it was first released on to the market. Do you know if White's have now got the MXS sorted out once and for all, or should anyone who is looking to purchase one of these hang off until its known for certain that the manufacturer has gotten of top of the issues -

Finally, as the well respected and knowledgeable MDer that you are - Can you remember any other unit that has been released in the past being plagued with so many issues? - I know White's have been in the industry a long time and they have some wickedly good units but its products and marketing like this that makes me shudder and tend to stay away from using that particular brand -

Anyways sir I would also like to add that YOU have taught me a great deal iver the years and I had been loving my Musky all based off your reviews and you are dead right - Thank you winking smiley

[www.earthscan.co.nz]
July 13, 2016 08:53PM
tnsharpshooter Wrote:
> Wayne,
> I read your post here 4 times.
>
> May I ask what was wrong with your first I think
> first 2 units???

The short answer is that I traded my Omega 8500 at a White's dealer with the stipulation that the MX Sport already be updated to the latest firmware. He had returned all his previous stock for updating and when he received new stock from Whites that was supposed to be updated, he sent me one. The Audio Modulation, VCO, and Iron Grunt functions did not work. Given the SN, White's CS told me it needed updating. I called my dealer.
He arranged for White's to send me another unit that was supposed to be fresh off the line and not need updating. I waited a week for it and was concerned when it carried an older SN than the first unit. I called White's CS and the first words when I gave the SN: it needs updating. (Strike 2)

At 448 local time, I'm still waiting for the 3rd unit to hit my door, and hope it's fully functional and already has the latest firmware. We'll see if it's right or if it's STRIKE 3!
I wish I could be more optimistic than I feel right now.

I may provide a longer answer, depending on what arrives at my door.

Wayne

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

July 13, 2016 09:10PM
ncwayne Wrote:
> tnsharpshooter Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Wayne,
> > I read your post here 4 times.
> >
> > May I ask what was wrong with your first I
> think
> > first 2 units???
>
> The short answer is that I traded my Omega 8500 at
> a White's dealer with the stipulation that the MX
> Sport already be updated to the latest firmware.
> He had returned all his previous stock for
> updating and when he received new stock from
> Whites that was supposed to be updated, he sent me
> one. The Audio Modulation, VCO, and Iron Grunt
> functions did not work. Given the SN, White's CS
> told me it needed updating. I called my dealer.
> He arranged for White's to send me another unit
> that was supposed to be fresh off the line and not
> need updating. I waited a week for it and was
> concerned when it carried an older SN than the
> first unit. I called White's CS and the first
> words when I gave the SN: it needs updating.
> (Strike 2)
>
> At 448 local time, I'm still waiting for the 3rd
> unit to hit my door, and hope it's fully
> functional and already has the latest firmware.
> We'll see if it's right or if it's STRIKE 3!
> I wish I could be more optimistic than I feel
> right now.
>
> I may provide a longer answer, depending on what
> arrives at my door.
>
> Wayne

Thank you for responding.

I have one of the units,,as you may be aware,,,and I was curious if maybe I needed to be on the lookout for something.

Cheers.
July 14, 2016 01:28AM
Check the corners of the screens for cracks!! My buddy bought one a couple weeks ago and his was cracked on both top corners. He called Whites, who told him to take it/send it back to the dealer. So he takes it back and he gets a new one that the dealer had just gotten in from Whites...they open it in the store to make sure all was OK and it was cracked too. They then checked out the store demo and it wasn't cracked but from the older stock. But he says after using it some he thinks it is looking like it may be cracking. I think it might have something to do with going from the outside 90+ degree heat to the A/C cool of the house...but can't say for sure. The inside of my truck has been 104-111 degrees all this week and I know the delivery trucks probably don't have A/C in the back of them.
July 14, 2016 02:30AM
I think what Whites was years ago will never be again and it's too bad to see that happen but I have not used one in years and don't think I would ever get one with the setup I have. They need some new blood not the walking dead type they seem to be using...I know a lot of you will get upset but hey I have to be stupid sometimes if not all of the time..

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
July 14, 2016 02:43AM
Daniel Tn Wrote:
> Check the corners of the screens for cracks!! My
> buddy bought one a couple weeks ago and his was
> cracked on both top corners. He called Whites, who
> told him to take it/send it back to the dealer. So
> he takes it back and he gets a new one that the
> dealer had just gotten in from Whites...they open
> it in the store to make sure all was OK and it was
> cracked too. They then checked out the store demo
> and it wasn't cracked but from the older stock.
> But he says after using it some he thinks it is
> looking like it may be cracking. I think it might
> have something to do with going from the outside
> 90+ degree heat to the A/C cool of the house...but
> can't say for sure. The inside of my truck has
> been 104-111 degrees all this week and I know the
> delivery trucks probably don't have A/C in the
> back of them.
I just got a new one last week and it had 4 cracks right out of the box. Plus it didn't pinpoint well, modulated audio was still bad and the SAT only went to 6! I looked close and there is a loose chip at the sealing edge inside the face plate. This is not from heat/cold. This is from a face plate that is too tight. Also with all the corners cracking I believe not only is the corners tight I don't feel the face and body have the same radius. These 2 things combined would mean you have 2 kinds of MXS's - one that's cracked and one that's going to crack. Everyone needs to look close at different angles in the sun ir bright light.

Kenny
[www.youtube.com]
July 14, 2016 03:14AM
Just got mine back and no cracks yet. Not used though. Performs VERY well in my garden. Had sat of 6 and weak pinpoint straight from distro "updated" stock. I haven't looked at modulation and grunt. I'm soured on it despite its top shelf performance. It's just a heavy frustration reminder now. Sucks because it has huge potential.
July 14, 2016 12:32PM
Whites needs to just recall all of them and start over... what a mess... im a long time white guy and have never in my almost 40 years detecting seen a more disastrous release of any brand detector.. not even close... how many customers read all of these forums and see all of these issues and are just shaking their heads...
July 14, 2016 12:46PM
New unit received about 530 yesterday. Called Whites CS to check on SN and mfg date. 5/27/16 according to her. Said "I should be ok." Not the MOST positive thing she could have said <wince>.
But, no cracks in clear plastic. Hooked up the coil to the handle/base unit and turned her on. SAT goes to 8 though the manual only goes to 6 (had me worried as I checked the manual first).
VCO appears to work. Audio Modulation looks like its working but will have to get out of the house with it for final conclusion, but for the first time in about 3 weeks, I am HOPEFUL!
Box had not been resealed but unit came with batteries installed and a package of batteries/holder, so don't know quite what to make of that. No sign of use or shop wear. In house testing? That would be nice!

More later.

Wayne

Pleasant Garden, NC

July 14, 2016 02:50PM
Hopefully in house thorough testing....the patience award of the month goes to you, Wayne.
July 14, 2016 06:33PM
Lawrenzo Wrote:
> I think what Whites was years ago will never be
> again and it's too bad to see that happen but I
> have not used one in years and don't think I would
> ever get one with the setup I have. They need some
> new blood not the walking dead type they seem to
> be using...I know a lot of you will get upset but
> hey I have to be stupid sometimes if not all of
> the time..

Mate - I think personally you are on the ball with most of your posts - something needs to happen as the current crew are obviously too focused on other things when designing new gear .......... & the marketing ........ woeful

[www.earthscan.co.nz]