Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

coin care

Posted by kickback 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
coin care
May 23, 2008 02:29PM
Now that we've learned how and found old coins what tips do you have for cleaning,caring and perserving our finds.Lately I've been cleaning common date wheaties by scrubbing them in soap and water,then putting the crusty ones in olive oil to soak.This seems to clean them up.At least it's more gentle to the coin than other methods.Ketchup soaking was a disaster for me.Bill
Re: coin care
May 23, 2008 02:57PM
Bill, I have tryed just about every meathod out there for my coins. The best i have used for my Wheaties has been CLR and a Q tip. After that i wash and dry then apply Blue magic that seals them. My silver i just rinse with water and pat dry. The best clad and old copper cleaner i have seen was a vibratory one that used crushed corn cob. I have a kit on order. Lets face it, it would be rare for a coin dealer to buy one of our "dug" coins unless it was very rare. I will just enjoy them and the thought of how many seasons have went by that they have seen.