Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

For those who love a small coil.

Posted by ghound 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
For those who love a small coil.
August 04, 2016 02:45PM
[youtu.be]

I have very little experience on the small coils as i mostly detect pasture, but i know a lot of you guys love the smaller coils, so please give it a view and tell me how it rates in your experience.
It a 5'' coil on a 9''( or the depth of a makro pointer lol ) nickel, the ground balance reads just touching the high mineralisation at 26 (0-25 high mineralisation, 35-80 normal mineralisation)
It's on mono disc which reports everything above iron, 8khz, and sens 27 out of 30.
It's bang on it's limit at 9'' and the signal drops off a cliff after this depth, the audios correct but the screen errors on the side of caution and gives it as silver, but it definitely knows it's not iron lol
Im a bit camera shy and fumble my words but you'll get the jist of what the detectors doing from the video.
cheers !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2016 02:57PM by ghound.
Re: For those who love a small coil.
August 04, 2016 03:04PM
I would have said that you cannot complain about that depth with that 5'' coil,infact i would say its very good,audio will always be so much better at depth over a screen anyday,a screen will become un-reliable from about 8'' this is why its very important when using a detector like you on pasture sites hunting for deep targets to have a decent pair of headphones so that you can hear those deep whisper signals.

I would have been more than happy with the performance of that 5'' coil on the GM5,its better than alot of detectors in my opinion.

Changing the subject for a minute and sorry for being off topic,but when looking at the YouTube video noticed those amazing Long Bow videos and how accurate they are,superb stuff.
August 04, 2016 03:11PM
Cheers Junk, i thought it was pretty good myself, I'll maybe give it a spin close around a few old buildings and see how i fair with it.
The old English Longbow is great fun, there's a big following for in in the UK and i shoot it competitively at target, got a few records and Irish champ the past few years, you can never have enough hobbies lol
August 04, 2016 05:27PM
That is getting down there..

Thanks for sharing.
August 04, 2016 10:16PM
As J&D said would be happy with that on that type of find. I use mine when I run into the thick stuff or heavy trash, can really pick a spot with that smaller foot print. Tone is key over the numbers. Thx for the vid
August 04, 2016 10:48PM
That is the sort of depths that a 5/6 inch coil can reach but because it is so small people tend to shy away from such coils, But that is very impressive, and you would be surprized how small a target that it can see, I think you have a great setup there, and a great combination for hammered and Celtic coins,

thanks for posting it,

John.
August 16, 2016 12:45PM

[youtu.be]

A bit more messing about with the GM5 and recovery speed etc, it's not a Deus but then again it's a fraction of the cost of a Deus, do they make a poor detector anymore??
August 16, 2016 01:00PM
@ghound,a good video showing how the GM5 performs,just seen that homemade log splitter video of yours,that is well cool and works very well.
August 16, 2016 01:02PM
Thanks Junk, the logsplitter! i just don't know what to be at lol