Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Musing about a new detector design

Posted by Flbchbm 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Musing about a new detector design
August 07, 2016 05:19PM
Many, if not most, of us walk around with a very powerful computer in our pocket in the form of a smart phone. i wonder if any of the manufacturers have considered taking advantage of that powerful computer with the stereo sound and hi-def full-color display in the design of a new detector. One that is along the lines of a Deus but with much more processing power. Imagine a detector with a lot of the hardware built into the coil, connected via bluetooth to your phone. An app would take the data from the coil and turn it into visual and audio information beyond current abilities. It would be cheaper to manufacture because one of the most expensive parts is the computer. It would be very flexible because it would be largely software based. Most of the battery power of the detector could be spent on the coil, rather than the processing. Not unlike the Deus but with your smart phone and all its capabilities rather than the Deus remote. How cool would that be?! Seems like it would be feasable, no?
Re: Musing about a new detector design
August 07, 2016 05:25PM
Moon Lab already did it with the Go-Flop....no one took advantage of the phone app...

Detector users are interested in [effective] metal detectors and not messing about with smartphones!!!
August 07, 2016 05:56PM
[www.okmmetaldetectors.com]

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
August 07, 2016 08:53PM
So, I guess they have, to a point. I was thinking more in terms of the phone as a control box and signal analyzer. Seems like there hase to be an awful lot more information in the signal than what is currently displayed or even analyzed. I would agree the two examples given pretty much suck.
August 07, 2016 09:32PM
"You're spot on the money!
It's all about cleaning up and extracting precise information from the signal.
No doubt about it, we shall see considerable refinement in the next generation detectors and, I feel Moon Lab will be leading the charge on that one.
The rest will follow if, they can replicate the next step!
However, no one has yet been able to replicate BBS not to mind FBS2
So, how long do we have to wait for FBS 3?

Maybe XP is their closet competitor on that?
An XP with color screen and a further advancement on V.4 which hasn't even been released yet has to be considered.
I'd say it exists already but the market will bear V.4 before they [have to] introduce their next, next step?
August 07, 2016 10:24PM
Its an awesome idea. I would like to see them just take advantage of the OS. For example, a company could just take android and use it as their detector OS.

Nox600, CTX, CZ21, Excal II and White's DF with 920i stealthscoop...I live and hunt at the beach in Wilm NCsmiling smiley
August 07, 2016 10:55PM
Ya know I am thinking about the Whites Treasuremaster Pro, Just for some light entertainment and to get away from all the backwash of resent machines, just for a bit of fun to go poking around new site, because it does not offer any high expectations, and it is worlds apart from the more Iconic machines and the ones that are still trying to make a name for them selves like the CTX and the Deus and the MXS so forth,

Just some light hearted fun, Where the reward Is about the find and not the what is the deepest most powerful or best machine, just fun ?

John.
August 07, 2016 10:57PM
Des D Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> However, no one has yet been able to replicate BBS
> not to mind FBS2
> So, how long do we have to wait for FBS 3?

True statement Des..

Always amazes me than no one has done Multi freq Like Minelab has..they have that as their true DNA ..and the code hasn't been cracked yet..

Bruce is a Genius of a Designer..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
August 08, 2016 12:29AM
Being a Minelab user I'll be the first to agree about Bruce's genius as a designer. Having said that he, and/or someone on his behalf, is insanely proficient at wording and securing patents on their technology. It's hard to compete with someone who has patented every conceivable way to accomplish how they do what they do.
August 08, 2016 01:57AM
Just because someone else has a patent doesn't mean the patented object is off limits. It just means that whomever uses it has to get permission and usually involves paying the patent holder royalty money. Maybe others have tried and Minelab said no...or maybe others are just unwilling to pay the fee. I'm sure someone probably knows. In archery, all bow companies are using what is called a binary cam system. One guy holds the patent to it that designed it and launched his own bow line that took off. Now he doesn't even have to produce bows any more due to all the other big name companies paying him to use his design.

Could you imagine a smart phone like detector that could utilize apps like the GPS and Google Earth to show you where you are, where you've been and or how to get to spots you have marked via map overlays? Put that thing in an Otterbox like case and its waterproof. Lightning fast processor. And while you're taking a break, you can watch the latest AquaChigger video. Of course I imagine battery life would be a big concern. As would being able to see the screen in sunlight. I was using the video camera on my phone the other day and the sweat dripping off my face would land on the screen and cause it to start zooming in or scrolling to other pages. So changing settings with dirt, mud, sweat, and grit on your hands might be a concern too. The concept would be neat though.
August 08, 2016 02:20AM
One thing we haven't seen much of.

Wonder if voice commands could be used.

If a detectior was good enough to discern at a relatively high percentage level accuracy wise.

For example,,could distinguish iron wrap signals and call them out.

Fbs machines with their ID,,,,it made even better,,,voice commands could be used to distinguish coin denominations for example.

Could be an option to be turned on or off.

And maybe help beginners to detecting or say the detector in question for learning.

I have always thought,,,if you could get a fishing boat depth finder engineer and a cell phone engineer,,,and a detector engineer,,,if these folks would put their heads together,,,might come up with a dandy of a detector.

Battery tech and led lighting tech is really humming,,,,this development just might pave the way too for some future exciting detectors.
Solar charging too could be used,,in a hybrid sort of fashion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2016 02:24AM by tnsharpshooter.
August 08, 2016 02:23AM
Daniel Tn Wrote:

I was using the video camera on my phone the other day
> and the sweat dripping off my face would land on
> the screen and cause it to start zooming in or
> scrolling to other pages.

LOL Daniel welcoem to my world...

Watch my videos and see the zoom in and out..LOL...Thats sweat on the lens.

I actually sweated so bad about a month ago I shorted out a detector..

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
August 08, 2016 02:28AM
20 years ago the old garrett's treasure talk would talk to you...most annoying thing I ever heard..

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
August 08, 2016 02:38AM
Yeah,,I read about it.

But what if through engineering and programming,,at users demand,,,a detector could state a percentage of probability if the target is even nonferrous when say hunting in heavy nails or iron.

Something to go on so to speak.

I mean you can only arrange tone so much for the human ear,,,,what if programming was tied to commands that could do more than actual tone can do.

We have been talking about rolling tones,etc and how it helps.

But could commands do even more???

Again the key is to have it user activated on demand if they want.

Basically take the decison out of the users hands (ears by tone,,and eyes by meter)
Granted a person would still need a prompt to zero in on target initially.

Just pondering,,,but in my mind,,,a detector could be made to more smartly communicate info to us humans,,,besides just tone and numbers.
August 08, 2016 02:49AM
Keith Southern Wrote:

> LOL Daniel welcoem to my world...
>
> Watch my videos and see the zoom in and
> out..LOL...Thats sweat on the lens.
>
> I actually sweated so bad about a month ago I
> shorted out a detector..

> Keith

Keith if you don't could you post the link to the camera you use and the Model number, because your videos are always good and I just don't know which one to buy,

Thanks mate,

John.
August 08, 2016 03:27AM
I just use my Phone...

old phone at that..

galaxy note 2..about 4 years old..

I want to try a good camera one day but it's always on the back burner..

so much to do so little time..

Thanks for the inquiry ..

P.S. the ultimate for me would be if I could find a set of goggles or glasses or something that I could wear and see where i'm looking and also be in H.D.

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
August 08, 2016 03:39AM
Keith Southern Wrote:
> I just use my Phone...
>
> old phone at that..
>
> galaxy note 2..about 4 years old..
>
> I want to try a good camera one day but it's
> always on the back burner..
>
> so much to do so little time..
>
> Thanks for the inquiry ..
>
> P.S. the ultimate for me would be if I could find
> a set of goggles or glasses or something that I
> could wear and see where i'm looking and also be
> in H.D.
>
>
>
> Keith

I hear ya Keith,

I have the Galaxy Note 1. But I need one of them Go Pro gizmo's or something, coz my first 3 videos were all over the place,

I will see what I can come up with on the Goggle Camera thing, That's a Great Idea, My brother will know if anyone makes them,

Thanks Again,,

John.
August 08, 2016 03:39AM
Keith Southern Wrote:
> I just use my Phone...
>
> old phone at that..
>
> galaxy note 2..about 4 years old..
>
> I want to try a good camera one day but it's
> always on the back burner..
>
> so much to do so little time..
>
> Thanks for the inquiry ..
>
> P.S. the ultimate for me would be if I could find
> a set of goggles or glasses or something that I
> could wear and see where i'm looking and also be
> in H.D.
>
>
>
> Keith

August 08, 2016 03:45AM
Don't waste your money on the GoPros or their imitations. That is probably the worse camera I have bought for videoing metal detecting stuff. AquaChigger uses the Olympus TG-4 camera. It is small but does amazing video and is waterproof to 50 feet without the need of a special case. That will be my next camera since mine seems to be crapping out and is outdated anyway. My wife's DSLR does great video but it is too big to lug into the field metal detecting and she would have a fit if I even hinted at doing so hahaha.
August 08, 2016 06:30AM
The Coleman glasses are reported by most reviews as the arms are defective and break very easily. Amazon lists the Campark video sunglasses as much better made for just over $40. I just ordered a pair and will see how well they do. The Campark brand is not waterproof however. I sweat a lot while on the beach, so will see how they do...Stuart
August 08, 2016 08:46AM
Sorry, re-read this post and decided it was too far off topic.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2016 02:34PM by Neugene.
August 08, 2016 08:59AM
Its all well and good having all these nice super cool detecting ideas and you could add any feature you wish,but the bottom line and i have always said this its how experienced the operator of the detector is and not necessary the detector,its that 10'' of space between your ears that count more than having all the latest patents etc.
August 08, 2016 09:28AM
Far as I am aware any Patents on B B S expired?
August 08, 2016 09:40AM
Junk and Disorderly Wrote:
> Its all well and good having all these nice super
> cool detecting ideas and you could add any
> feature you wish,but the bottom line and i have
> always said this its how experienced the operator
> of the detector is and not necessary the
> detector,its that 10'' of space between your ears
> that count more than having all the latest patents
> etc.

To be honest I would not change from the MXT and the GMT, My MXT can see things that are so small it's not funny and with the Coils that I have for both machines there is nothing they won't find, Although folks have been wanting lighter machine for about the past year or so, I would not change my machines because they are setup to carry larger Coil which is something that the more modern designs can't do without added wrist strain, That's the beauty of the Black Box Machines.

What ever they make it will need to be pretty special before I would buy anything else, Because for my needs nothing else comes close to the MXT, But that is because I really multi task and I need a machine that works and suit my needs, No doubt the other machines are good too, But from what I have seen with my own gear I would be crazy to use anything else,

John..
August 08, 2016 03:26PM
How about a detector that emulates many detectors. Old detectors emulated like the Sovereign, 1266, PI, etc. Not only emulate them but enhance them. Then choose one for the area your detecting in. The frequency for the coils and detectors would all be controlled in the smart phone or tablet. No detectors with patent infringement. Or buy the right to use a patent. How about setting any emulated detector to whatever frequency you want.

Can it be done to make one coil and change the coil frequency to what you want with software?

Rick
August 08, 2016 07:55PM
Rick, N. MI Wrote:
> How about a detector that emulates many detectors.
> Old detectors emulated like the Sovereign, 1266,
> PI, etc. Not only emulate them but enhance them.
> Then choose one for the area your detecting in.
> The frequency for the coils and detectors would
> all be controlled in the smart phone or tablet. No
> detectors with patent infringement. Or buy the
> right to use a patent. How about setting any
> emulated detector to whatever frequency you want.
>
>
> Can it be done to make one coil and change the
> coil frequency to what you want with software?
>
> Rick

Well Rick, I think who ever built that machines would just about wipe out all the other companies, Instead of C&J and Relic mode and All Metal, It Could have MXT Mode and BBS Mode and PI Mode,

Now that would really stir things Up.

Good one , Mate.

john.
August 08, 2016 10:06PM
Yup, lol, that will never happen.

Rick
August 08, 2016 10:41PM
auminesweeper I believe Whites is on to that one as they got a patient for a VLF/PI detector a while back this year. shortribs
August 09, 2016 01:19AM
shortribs Wrote:
> auminesweeper I believe Whites is on to that one
> as they got a patient for a VLF/PI detector a
> while back this year. shortribs

Well I hope they come up with something like that, It would be pretty useful in the Bush as long as it could be used for prospecting in both modes.

John.
August 09, 2016 02:28AM
Daniel Tn Wrote:
> Just because someone else has a patent doesn't
> mean the patented object is off limits. It just
> means that whomever uses it has to get permission
> and usually involves paying the patent holder
> royalty money. Maybe others have tried and
> Minelab said no...or maybe others are just
> unwilling to pay the fee. I'm sure someone
> probably knows. In archery, all bow companies are
> using what is called a binary cam system. One guy
> holds the patent to it that designed it and
> launched his own bow line that took off. Now he
> doesn't even have to produce bows any more due to
> all the other big name companies paying him to use
> his design.
>
> Could you imagine a smart phone like detector that
> could utilize apps like the GPS and Google Earth
> to show you where you are, where you've been and
> or how to get to spots you have marked via map
> overlays? Put that thing in an Otterbox like case
> and its waterproof. Lightning fast processor. And
> while you're taking a break, you can watch the
> latest AquaChigger video. Of course I imagine
> battery life would be a big concern. As would
> being able to see the screen in sunlight. I was
> using the video camera on my phone the other day
> and the sweat dripping off my face would land on
> the screen and cause it to start zooming in or
> scrolling to other pages. So changing settings
> with dirt, mud, sweat, and grit on your hands
> might be a concern too. The concept would be neat
> though.

White's licensed a multi-frequency design from ML and came up with the DFX and the BeachHunter ID. The design was downsized to two frequencies to save on cost.

Any married man should forget his mistakes - there's no point in two people remembering the same thing...