Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

In my mind trying to draw distinction between iron dust and soil minerals

Posted by tnsharpshooter 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
In my mind trying to draw distinction between iron dust and soil minerals
August 14, 2016 05:04PM
Been trying to figure out,,,when it comes to detectors,,,

Seems in real old polluted sites,,,where iron has decomposed greatly,,,some detectors just do better.

But are these same better performing detectors,,,actually better performers in higher minerlaizied soil???

I really miss NASA Tom here.

Would be great to get his take on these issues.
Re: In my mind trying to draw distinction between iron dust and soil minerals
August 14, 2016 07:18PM
That's a really good question & something I've wondered about myself for a very long time.------Hope we get some meaningful input/info on this.--------Del
August 14, 2016 08:50PM
I think that would depend on the frequency and the tracking system and Coil combo, In such places turn down the Gain can also help because it becomes a bit like driving in the fog on High Beam In that too much Gain will blind the detector.

John.
August 14, 2016 09:11PM
Most of the good iron machines are fast and higher freq so they will struggle with real depth but can handle mineral because of the way there designed to take little snapshots,,

so in certain high F.E. Oxide dirts there can be advantages to accurate I.D. Vs no I.d or false I.D.

ferric oxide and iron oxide are very similar..

BUT heavy Oxide and VLF will shut down..

if they would couple the new ways of doing things to a lower freq units or a multi freq unit I think you would see advantages to Iron mineral punch..

Bleeding BBS would be nice..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
August 14, 2016 10:23PM
When your coil is above the soil (any soil...highly mineralised or not) it picks up the average effects of the soil below (and around) the coil. Because it's an average, it doesn't tend to vary wildly during your sweep, and that makes it easier to 'deal with'- it's smooth.

Real bits of decomposed iron/rust in the soil, however, tend to give a short spike in the coils signal, and in heavily contaminated sites, this causes a lot of 'wobbling up and down' of the 'background' signal, which makes it harder for your machine to pick out real targets from within that background.

Hopefully that gives an idea between the two.

Don't forget that the 'mineralisation' of the soil is a combination of iron and electrically-conductive chemicals, in varying degrees of strength. Whereas iron contamination is just that - iron.
August 15, 2016 02:31PM
Pimento Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> When your coil is above the soil (any
> soil...highly mineralised or not) it picks up the
> average effects of the soil below (and around) the
> coil. Because it's an average, it doesn't tend to
> vary wildly during your sweep, and that makes it
> easier to 'deal with'- it's smooth.
>
> Real bits of decomposed iron/rust in the soil,
> however, tend to give a short spike in the coils
> signal, and in heavily contaminated sites, this
> causes a lot of 'wobbling up and down' of the
> 'background' signal, which makes it harder for
> your machine to pick out real targets from within
> that background.
>
> Hopefully that gives an idea between the two.
>
> Don't forget that the 'mineralisation' of the soil
> is a combination of iron and
> electrically-conductive chemicals, in varying
> degrees of strength. Whereas iron contamination is
> just that - iron.

Your info helps me understand a bit better.
August 15, 2016 09:06PM
This is where Machines like the TDI SL come in, because there Coils are not Hyper Sensitive to Tiny objects they can smooth out such things in the ground but still allow positive targets to come through.

John.