Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

What is the deepest detector AM wise

Posted by tnsharpshooter 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: What is the deepest detector AM wise
August 17, 2016 01:40PM
bado1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> That was my initial thought as well, John. I can
> see where it would be useful in certain
> situations. I mainly hunt relics in iron infested
> areas so it wouldn't work most of the time. Hombre
> brought up a good point re sizing of targets
> though. "Soul destroying"....I love it!

I love the power it has in the AM and now I am using the MXT it does have Target VDI's in the prospecting mode but even then you would have to check every signal which I guess it a good argument for Iron Volume, But then again in the Relic mode I have he choice to either hear Iron or have the machine null over Iron.

At One spot I tried to use my GP 3500 and it punished me hard because you can't get anymore All Metal than that, mind you I did find an Iron fence that someone buried and I dug the biggest hole I have ever dug by hand, Big enough to put a 70's Cadillac in to.

John.
August 17, 2016 03:07PM
All metal is about all I can use on a VLF machine. All you have to do is watch that video I posted last week to see what my soil does to targets in the ground. The only way to get a signal on them is to go true all metal or disc mode lowered below iron. I prefer a true all metal vs zero disc. The difference in the AT Pro (non true all metal) and AT Gold all metal was pretty major in my soil.

With that said. I think the GPX would be the deepest I have used for all metal. But it is more of an all metal with 2 tone ID.

The Whites 5900 all metal was also pretty sweet and smooth and DEEP. Don had a cherry Blue & Grey Pro at the shop here a while back with 2 coils for $250. If I would have had the extra cash on me, it would have been going home with me.
August 17, 2016 03:34PM
Daniel Tn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> All metal is about all I can use on a VLF machine.
> All you have to do is watch that video I posted
> last week to see what my soil does to targets in
> the ground. The only way to get a signal on them
> is to go true all metal or disc mode lowered below
> iron. I prefer a true all metal vs zero disc.
> The difference in the AT Pro (non true all metal)
> and AT Gold all metal was pretty major in my soil.
>
>
> With that said. I think the GPX would be the
> deepest I have used for all metal. But it is more
> of an all metal with 2 tone ID.
>
> The Whites 5900 all metal was also pretty sweet
> and smooth and DEEP. Don had a cherry Blue & Grey
> Pro at the shop here a while back with 2 coils for
> $250. If I would have had the extra cash on me, it
> would have been going home with me.

The 5900 I got has never been used and is As New, But it does have some serious power, I am sure it can hold it's own with a PI.

John.
August 17, 2016 07:24PM
Comparison on a clad/silver dime in the air without discrimination on various detectors (longer red bar the greater the distance from coil to target, in inches). For instance, in the air the XLT managed an average of 14.2" on a dime while the Tesoro Amigo2 averaged 5.9".

Blue values and blue wavy line is the efficiency of the detector coil - (Coil Area / Distance) = Efficiency. A big coil that gets poor distance yields a bigger number, which indicates a less efficient coil. The average of all detectors is the horizontal blue line, which has an average on a dime of 7.1. This means if the blue efficiency value is lower than 7 (e.g., 3, 4, 5, and 6), those particular coils are more efficient than the average coil efficiency on a dime. In other words, it's a more sensitive coil on dime-sized targets. This doesn't make the coil deeper than other coils that are larger however.

Putting this together: Even though a coil may be small and efficient for its size (efficiency numbers below 7) the overall distance achieved on a dime will be greater as coil size increases, even on a less efficient coil. For instance, the White's Quantum XT as tested had a larger coil with 124sq-in of area as compared to the White's XLT coil with 71sq-in. But the XLT performed better (14.2" vs. 11.4" ). The Efficiency of the XLT is 5 (better than average) while the Quantum's Efficiency was 11 (worse than average).

While many of the detectors listed are older, you can at least get a feel for their relative performance. For instance, though the ACE 250 is a popular detector and has an Efficiency score better than average, it did not perform as well as many other detectors. Also, as with other results, it is a collection of averaged results from a variety of tests by various people. Subjective variation is to be expected, which is why the results are averaged across all tests (assuming that particular detector was tested more than once - more testing will reduce errors).

In any case, for grins ...

-Johnnyango