lookin' for a silver dime... pics added 09/20/16 405pm
September 20, 2016 01:43PM
went, yesterday, to the private camp where I have had permission for over 2 years now. Been findin' mercs and Rosies and occasional Washingtons. One Walker. Still trying for silver dimes but they are few(er) and far(ther) between these days.
Carried the MX Sport with the 5.5x10 DD coil and hunted in C&J. Never been a White's guy so it's interesting learning/trying to figure out how their machines do their thing, and what the sounds may be telling me.Too early to be sure, but I have a strong suspicion that the MX Sport is a bit more intelligible than the Nok/Maks are at telling good from bad targets. Just MHO, mind you. I know I like the handle of the MXS a lot better than either that of the Relic or Racer. It gives me enough length to wrap my whole hand around it and it sorta feels like shaking hands with a friend. Yes, the MXS has a hefty feel, but the balance with the 5.5x10 is very good.
Having attended this camp as a child back in the late 50s, I have a feel for where the older activities took place. I remember kids straying from the paths in their running around, and congregating here and there. Some hunts I concentrate on those areas. This was such a hunt.
I got a good clean, smooth signal and the detector suggested it was a half dollar. An 84-85. I dug the initial hole and it was in the sidewall. I scratched it.

I hunted around the productive hole and finding nothing else I went back to gridding the site. Perhaps 10 minutes later I was back close to the good hole and got another promising signal. Another 84 and another "half dollar" indication from the MXS. Yeah, right, I thought...wouldn't that be something? The something turned out to be this:

more pics to come; photobucket is acting up...

I'll tell on myself here. I thought about rechecking the second hole but didn't. Later when I was back at the two holes (which were less than 2 feet apart) I got a signal out of the 2nd hole. Dug up the plug again and found the quarter.

Here are a couple of group shots and one with two leaves marking the spots where the coins were recovered.

Oh, and today I found that dime I was looking for. Worst looking merc I've ever dug, and then I hit it with my shovel (had a little rain yesterday but tough dry digging again today).

Thanks for looking.

Wayne

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2016 08:05PM by ncwayne.
Re: lookin' for a silver dime...
September 20, 2016 01:47PM
Yes sir, that's some good stuff right there. I dug more old coins with the MX Sport than any other machine I've used. That thing just latches onto the coins. I really want to run the small 7" round DD coil for it!!
September 20, 2016 05:23PM
What kind of settings did you run, Daniel, if you don't mind telling me.....
September 20, 2016 05:47PM
That would be a great day for anyone, congrats on the saves over that way! smileys with beer
September 20, 2016 05:49PM
Big Ben!
September 20, 2016 06:00PM
Congrats. Whats the date on the Walker?

Been a while since I dug a half

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a democracy, it is difficult to win fellow citizens over to your own side, or to build public support to remedy injustices that remain all too real when you fundamentally misunderstand how they see the world.
Re: lookin' for a silver dime... pics added 09/20/16 405pm
September 20, 2016 09:17PM
That's some mighty fine digging. Two big silvers are a rare outing. HH jim tn
September 20, 2016 09:23PM
Nice finds..

That detector not to shabby in higher mineral either.
Better than either my Racer2 or Nokta relic based on my tests.
September 20, 2016 11:30PM
Awesome finds Wayne! Beautiful coins you found there!
September 21, 2016 12:46AM
Woa! How sweet it is!
September 22, 2016 03:05AM
Very good finds Wayne. Looks like the MX Sport agrees with you. Keep up dating us on how it does. Can you tell if White's updated the software on your unit?
September 29, 2016 06:38AM
Two halves in one hunt, that's awesome thumbs down
September 29, 2016 08:28AM
Wayne, is that the general age of coin finds in your area or do you sometimes find older?
September 29, 2016 01:00PM
ghound, I am in the Greensboro area of NC. About 40 miles below the Virginia line, 80 miles from South Carolina, and approximately 200 miles from the coast. There are active churches here that date back to the early to mid 1700s. Some towns were established that far back, as well. Some colonial coppers have been found, though I doubt very many. Spanish reales do turn up occasionally, as well as some old German silver, and believe me, they are on my bucket list. My oldest coin is presently an 1833 capped bust half dime. I'm still looking for my first large cent and several other of the older type coins. They are here. I just need to get on them.

Thanks for asking.

Wayne

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?
September 29, 2016 03:38PM
SWEET

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
September 29, 2016 06:41PM
Nice haul of BIG silver there Wayne thumbs down

Been a long while since I've found a Ben myself (20 yrs) or so.

HH