Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

XLT, strange behaviour in Multitone Mode

Posted by Scoopy_Doo 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
XLT, strange behaviour in Multitone Mode
October 31, 2016 12:08AM
I've been observing what is a problem to me with my XLT.

I wasn't sure if it was user failure, wrong settings or something else and not really knowing what question(s) would address this properly.
So I've finally given myself a kick in the pants to hopefully clearly describe the "problem" I'm having.

OK, here goes:

I often go cherry picking on the beach in Summer. There are often many targets within a few swings.
Searching with bigfoot in Multitone Mode. Audio is all open, no notches are discriminated. I listen to everything the detector "sees".

Say I hit an iron coin VDI -50 then keep swinging and then hit a good coin (normally VDI +50 by itself)
the VDI tone output will be lower than the good coin and higher than the iron coin, say VDI 00 in this example.

It appears that my XLT is "remembering " the last signal and averaging it with the next one and so on. I find it very annoying having to double/triple sweep a target to get a relatively realistic reading.

This also often happens when i have recovered the target and check if there's something else in the hole.
I then get what I call a phantom signal (good signal as if there's something still in the hole) on the first swing which usually dissappears the second swing over the hole.

I've switched off all averaging functions and tried many settings and am at the end of my wits here.

So I hope I've adequately described my "problem" and hope even more for insights or possibly even a solution to this!
Re: XLT, strange behaviour in Multitone Mode
October 31, 2016 02:20PM
One wonders if absolute value and mixed mode audio used at same time may be the problem...call Whites and talk to a tech.....I feel your settings may be the problem.
Re: XLT, strange behaviour in Multitone Mode
October 31, 2016 11:00PM
Thanks for your reply Dan-Pa. ! Your answer made me aware that I have some sloppy points in my question.

So here some more distinct info:

I hunt in Tone-I.D. mode, which i sloppily called multitone as I stated.

In this case I do not use Mixed mode.

The "memory" effect of signals is also with my 9 1/2" and 6x4" coils.

Wishing you all a great Halloween, no matter if you love or hate it.