Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

MX Sport VS Iron

Posted by tboykin 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: MX Sport VS Iron
November 16, 2016 04:14AM
tboykin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> White's pays for shipping both ways, not sure
> where you got your info from! We have all the bugs
> worked out and you should be able to buy with
> confidence from any reputable dealer.

Well hell thats awesome, not many companies pay the return shipping to fix issues. I really love the look of the display and the new coils. Especially that 7" coil. Hope u can make a video of that 7" working some heavy iron.
November 16, 2016 09:16PM
Daniel Tn Wrote:
> Yes Whites is providing a paid UPS shipping label
> back to the factory for the repairs. So all you
> are out of is a little time and that's all. Ours
> took about 2 weeks total time...most of that was
> on UPS transit time going to/fro. The total time
> from when Whites received the detector til a
> shipping notice is sent for its return...was
> approx 2 business days.
>
> By comparison, Minelab is currently on a 30-40 day
> waiting period for repairs at their Illinois
> center...and that's not counting transit time.
I wish I had known that Whites paid for shipping back to them. I had made a trade for the MXS and the dang thing was DOA. It wouldn't power up. Needless to say, I was so pi##ed, that I packed it up right away and sent it in to Whites without thinking to call them first. Spent $65, insured, 2 day priority mail. Got it back in just over a week, so no complaints there. Lesson learned! Detector works great!
November 16, 2016 10:08PM
Kickindirt Wrote:
> Hope u can make a video
> of that 7" working some heavy iron.

There are some nice videos of it already on YouTube from some users. Here's one - [www.youtube.com]
November 17, 2016 09:47AM
detectingMO
If anyone does a video of the new ones air testing modulation "on" please message me a link. I'd like to see if it's more granular at the deeper depths or a stark drop in the last 2 inches like before.

Before it was like volume went from 100% to 20% for the last 2 inches of detecting depth. No gradual drop just a big drop and then drop again to zero. I'm hopeful the new firmware has a more gradual volume decline over the last 6 inches?
I only played with a couple of MX Sports at a White's Dealer's shop. The 'original' they were shipped and the same unit when it came back from an early update. I wasn't impressed with it yet, but I am still going to wait until they are sure it is in a 'finished' version coming from production and give it a serious work-out afield. I'd even consider making a drive over to White's and visit with Tom B. to do some model comparisons in their test bead area.

Although I haven't used it enough to like what I experi4enced with that early release, part of what I was hoping for was to have the MX Sport behave more like what I had enjoyed with the MXT Pro. With the MXT Pro, and most of the more modern detectors we have seen in recent years, there is often more multi-function with the Sensitivity or Gain control. It doesn't simply address the transmit power but also the receive signal processing, and Target Volume can be tied in. With the MXT series you could govern the amount or percentage of modulation you could experience based on Gain/Sensitivity level used. Get up to the +3 setting and you had virtually no modulated audio and all the processed received signal had a saturated audio response.

At the 'default' preset marker you had more modulated audio from the mid-depth to deeper targets, and as the Gain was reduced you could her it 'step' through the digital electronic gain settings that also reduced the Pre-Amp or Rx Gain level and while reducing the overall detection depth as well as the amount of audio saturation, thus providing more modulated audio than with a higher Gain level setting. I didn't see that kind of performance with the MX Sport. There are several popular models, some I have enjoyed owning and using that gave me great results when Coin Hunting, that have and some that haven't had a very modulated audio.

I'll go visit another dealer who has a fresh inventory of current production and give the MX Sport another check-out. While I usually use a maximum, or very high Gain/Sensitivity level setting with most detectors I employ, I'll confess that long ago I grew to really appreciate a good modulated audio response from a detector. I still do, but I also realize that some manufacturers design engineers may not cater to those of us who do, and the resulting detector design, either completely thru the use of 'clipping filters' or other circuitry design, seems to produce a more saturated audio. I know many active 'hobbyists' who prefer a saturated audio to a more modulated response.

Perhaps the MX Sport just wasn't designed for 'us,' the ones who prefer more modulation? Like you I'd like to hear other MX Sport user's comments about this but still need to go check it out, again.

Monte
November 17, 2016 12:03PM
Monte Wrote:
> If anyone does a video of the new ones air testing
> modulation "on" please message me a link. I'd like
> to see if it's more granular at the deeper depths
> or a stark drop in the last 2 inches like before.
>
>
> Before it was like volume went from 100% to 20%
> for the last 2 inches of detecting depth. No
> gradual drop just a big drop and then drop again
> to zero. I'm hopeful the new firmware has a more
> gradual volume decline over the last 6 inches?I
> only played with a couple of MX Sports at a
> White's Dealer's shop. The 'original' they were
> shipped and the same unit when it came back from
> an early update. I wasn't impressed with it yet,
> but I am still going to wait until they are sure
> it is in a 'finished' version coming from
> production and give it a serious work-out afield.
> I'd even consider making a drive over to White's
> and visit with Tom B. to do some model comparisons
> in their test bead area.
>
> Although I haven't used it enough to like what I
> experi4enced with that early release, part of what
> I was hoping for was to have the MX Sport behave
> more like what I had enjoyed with the MXT Pro.
> With the MXT Pro, and most of the more modern
> detectors we have seen in recent years, there is
> often more multi-function with the Sensitivity or
> Gain control. It doesn't simply address the
> transmit power but also the receive signal
> processing, and Target Volume can be tied in.
> With the MXT series you could govern the amount or
> percentage of modulation you could experience
> based on Gain/Sensitivity level used. Get up to
> the +3 setting and you had virtually no modulated
> audio and all the processed received signal had a
> saturated audio response.
>
> At the 'default' preset marker you had more
> modulated audio from the mid-depth to deeper
> targets, and as the Gain was reduced you could her
> it 'step' through the digital electronic gain
> settings that also reduced the Pre-Amp or Rx Gain
> level and while reducing the overall detection
> depth as well as the amount of audio saturation,
> thus providing more modulated audio than with a
> higher Gain level setting. I didn't see that kind
> of performance with the MX Sport. There are
> several popular models, some I have enjoyed owning
> and using that gave me great results when Coin
> Hunting, that have and some that haven't had a
> very modulated audio.
>
> I'll go visit another dealer who has a fresh
> inventory of current production and give the MX
> Sport another check-out. While I usually use a
> maximum, or very high Gain/Sensitivity level
> setting with most detectors I employ, I'll confess
> that long ago I grew to really appreciate a good
> modulated audio response from a detector. I
> still do, but I also realize that some
> manufacturers design engineers may not cater to
> those of us who do, and the resulting detector
> design, either completely thru the use of
> 'clipping filters' or other circuitry design,
> seems to produce a more saturated audio. I know
> many active 'hobbyists' who prefer a saturated
> audio to a more modulated response.
>
> Perhaps the MX Sport just wasn't designed for
> 'us,' the ones who prefer more modulation? Like
> you I'd like to hear other MX Sport user's
> comments about this but still need to go check it
> out, again.
>
> Monte

Thanks Monte, You explained it very well That is the same Issue that I have with a lot of Detectors, Where as the MXT Pro etc Seems alive and talks to you and What a lot of folks do not realize is what those Steps that you talk about actually are,

The MXT will Multiply the Gain and you can hear the Clicks, I call this Changing Gear... When you turn on the MXT from 0 to 3.1 you get "ONE" times the Gain of the Original signal and From 3.1 you will hear a Click So at 3.1 it Clicks and then the Gain/ Signal is multiplied by "2". And at 5 at the next Click it Multiplies the Gain / Signal 4 times, And at around 8 it Clicks and then it multiplies the Gain / Signal by 8 and then the Next Click is at around 10.8 to 10 +1 and then it Multiplies the Gain by 16.

So 0-3= x1, 3.1= x2, 5= x4, 8/8.2 = x8 and @ 10-+1= x16, The secrete to getting extreme Depth from the MXT is to try and Run it up above the 10 +2 setting, With such a high setting and the right Coil selection the MXT can see tiny Nuggets that weigh less than 0.0001 ozt. And the GMT also uses this same Gain multiplying system but with the GMT it also has a x4 Gain Switch so it is actually possible to multiply the original signal 64x

A common mistake is that because the MXT has Knobs that People think it is Analogue when it is in fact Digital, And the modulation at lower Gain settings that you speak of when used correctly will allow coins to be heard very deeply and this really comes in to play when using Coils like the 12"/300 Coil if the Soil allows it. Although a person can run the Gain up High the MXT will tell you when the Gain is too high, But even though the MXT does work well using High Gain, by dropping the Gain to between 6 and 8 it will actually unmask targets allowing full use of the modulation,

The Modulation was the first thing I noticed was missing on the MXS which has now been corrected, I to am hoping for Whites to take the MXS to the next level,

John

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2016 12:09PM by auminesweeper.
November 17, 2016 02:45PM
Monte Wrote:
>
> Perhaps the MX Sport just wasn't designed for
> 'us,' the ones who prefer more modulation? Like
> you I'd like to hear other MX Sport user's
> comments about this but still need to go check it
> out, again.
>
> Monte

It would seem it was designed for both since Modulation is a setting that can be turned ON or OFF.
November 17, 2016 03:33PM
detectingMO Wrote:

>
> It would seem it was designed for both since
> Modulation is a setting that can be turned ON or
> OFF.

Yeah that's right but on the early models the signals weren't positive like the MXT is and I think that is why I had and issue with it,
November 17, 2016 04:23PM
auminesweeper Wrote:
> detectingMO Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>
> >
> > It would seem it was designed for both since
> > Modulation is a setting that can be turned ON
> or
> > OFF.
>
> Yeah that's right but on the early models the
> signals weren't positive like the MXT is and I
> think that is why I had and issue with it,

You had an MX Sport?
November 18, 2016 12:35AM
I don't know if the modulation or anything like that would be to your liking. However, the MX Sport gets the goods. I have found many good targets using the 10" coil in a small area an AT Pro and a Nokta Fors Core failed to find with the 5" coil.

It reminds me of an Explorer on steroids.
November 18, 2016 01:08AM
detectingMO Wrote:
> auminesweeper Wrote:
> -----
> > detectingMO Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> >
> > >
> > > It would seem it was designed for both since
> > > Modulation is a setting that can be turned ON
> > or
> > > OFF.
> >
> > Yeah that's right but on the early models the
> > signals weren't positive like the MXT is and I
> > think that is why I had and issue with it,
>
> You had an MX Sport?

Yeah but it was one of the early ones and I sent it back to where it came from, It was now where as good as the Newer ones are, The latest ones appear to be Really good and now I am liking what I see.