Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Garrett GTI as a relic machine???

Posted by groundscanner 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Garrett GTI as a relic machine???
February 15, 2011 07:58PM
Can anyone critique the Garrett GTI 1500 concerning its abilities as a relic machine? My younger brother has borrowed one to relic hunt with. He would like to know how it would compare to other detectors in the same price range (for relics).

He knows that it will find minie balls and musket balls, but I think that he would be interested in knowing how well it does at finding buttons and other bronze relics.

Thanks

Michael
Re: Garrett GTI as a relic machine???
February 15, 2011 08:33PM
I don't see why it wouldn't work, but I've never used one.

Personally, though, the only detector that I would consider from Garrett at the moment is the AT Pro. I've seen Youtube videos that show that it has a significant depth advantage over even the GTI 2500, which is supposed to be Garrett's top of the line detector. The GTI line has that "imaging" feature, which is probably more of a gimmick than anything. I don't see it being that useful when detecting. I'd rather have newer technology and better depth.

And, the AT Pro is almost $100 less than the GTI 1500.

I hope the AT Pro marks the beginning of a whole new direction for Garrett. Their detectors have kind of fallen behind the times up until very recently. If they fixed the coil falsing issue on the AT Pro, then it's one of the best detectors you can have right now, at any price.
February 16, 2011 01:45AM
The GTI series are lacking a fair amount of performance. Yes, the AT Pro is generations ahead. . . as is the F75's and T2's. One of the problems of the GTI series units.....is their inability to ID targets properly at medium and deep depths. This has been my experiences here in inert dirt Florida.
February 16, 2011 02:08AM
The big holdback on garrett detectors as relic hunting goes is lack of GB
on the motion mode side.
Now how much this effects performance is a guess.
So the AT-Pro is one of their first to have GB tied to the motion mode.
February 16, 2011 02:26AM
Thanks guys for the help! I will pass this info along to my brother.