Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Pin pointing with the F75

Posted by tmanfromtexas 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Pin pointing with the F75
July 29, 2008 11:49PM
I am still learning my machine and am confused by its pinpoint ability. I have read that the sweet spot is the circle just in front of the shaft on the coil. I can pin point items at 5 inches or less pretty much dead on that spot. When I get a target deeper than 5 inches I seem to have a hard time pin pointing the target. Here is a scenario. I get a high tone and a 68 to 73 VID pops up. I X the spot and then pin point to get a depth. It comes up at 9 inches. I dig a hole about 8 inches in diameter and start removing earth. After about 6 inches I rescan the hole and it is still there. I dig to 8 inches and its still there and the sweet spot is still on the mark. I get to 11 inches and its still there but the depth meter on pinpoint is still showing 9 or sometimes less. At this point I am usually NOT doing the happy dance. The last 5 holes I dug yesterday were like this and I gave up and covered them back up. My question is on the deeper targets does the sweet spot move from lets say center to the back or the front of the coil? Thanks for any info. TMAN...
Re: Pin pointing with the F75
July 30, 2008 01:26AM
Sounds like a heavily 'tilted' (or possibly even fully on-edge) coin in the SIDE of the hole. Try enlarging the hole.... or taking the coil and putting it at a 45Deg angle in the hole and walk completely around the hole (in the pinpoint mode).
August 01, 2008 12:56PM
i encounter exactely the same problems with my f75. it can get pretty frustrating! i even consider bying a separate pinpointer, wich i find strange for such an expensive machine...
Toms right........
August 01, 2008 04:52PM
its almost certainly a target on the side of the hole....likely on edge. The price of the machine dosent have a thing to do with the pinpointing characteristics. All machines have their little quirks as far a pinpointing goes....and the same laws of physics apply to ALL of em. INVESTIGATE!!! Get that target OUT of the hole.......and SEE whats causing the pinpoint to be off. Its the ONLY way you'll learn whats going on.....and how to deal with a similar problem in the future. A good handheld pinpointer or probe will help....but usually what I do when in that situation is to either (as Tom suggested)...tip the coil down,and put it IN the hole to scan the sides (provided you made a big enough hole............or start shaving the dirt off the sides of the hole once you get to a certain depth and have still not recovered the target.
Also.................when you start taking the dirt out of the bottom of the hole after you shaved the sides................DONT just pile it on the side of the hole and scan it with the machine. Run each handful of dirt over the coil as you bring it out. If you toss the dirt over a piece of iron or nail...it may be masked when you try to detect it!! (another common reason for "dissapearing" targets)
Re: Toms right........
August 01, 2008 05:43PM
In Montana.on occasion,I have found the culprit to be an old,old rusty piece of deep,deep iron.Other times a coin on edge.Just my experience.Bill
Re: Toms right........
August 02, 2008 02:32AM
Correct and correct!
August 02, 2008 09:19AM
yesturday i went out again and i must say the pinpointing was much better with all the tips here.
August 03, 2008 09:21AM
That's what we are here for. ......and without a 'slant', bias or sales-pitch underlying motive.