Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Picked up a used CZ-3D

Posted by tmanfromtexas 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Picked up a used CZ-3D
August 23, 2008 01:43AM
I picked up a used CZ with the 1121 serial number. I figured while my F75 was in the shop I would check this one out as maybe a backup. I set the machine up sens 4, 0 disc and enhanced. I noticed on high tone targets the machine would alot of times grunt on the end of the swing and show iron. I had a few of those when my buddy called me over to check a target. The same thing, good high tone both ways but showing iron at the end of the swing. I dug it and out came a 1953 quarter at 3 inches. Then there was another signal he called me over for and his SE picked it up but the CZ got one high tone one time and then foil. He dug it and out popped a merc at 4 inches. I found that odd.

I ended up with 5 wheaties a nickel and 3 memorials in 3 hours and very little trash. Not a bad day at all but my main question is how to read the high tones. From what I read if you got a high tone both ways dig it, does that include ones with iron on the end? The reason I ask is when you get that on the F75 its usually iron.

Any clarification would be helpful. Hell, if I can figure that issue out this may become my main and the 75 may be a back up. lol. TMAN...
Re: Picked up a used CZ-3D
August 23, 2008 11:45AM
Find a clean area of dirt where no trash/targets exist. Bury a dime at 4", 5" and 6". See how different detectors respond..... especially the CZ. Make sure the units are ground balanced.

Bad ground can give the results that you are encountering.

DON'T BE UPSET...... if no detector will ID (or even detect) a dime at 7" or 8" in your type of ground!

Make sure your CZ has good air-test results on a dime with Sens set at 'just below 5'.
August 24, 2008 01:05AM
You are right about the ground Tom. I GB this morning when I went out to hunt and it ended up at 3. I was talking to Larry with NWI detectors. He has hunted this area for along time. He has problems with his F75 and the Tesoro Cortez in the north part of Lake County IN . I have both and both act stupid up here sometimes. We both felt that with the steel mills that have been here 100+ years churning out dust from the furnaces that may be the cause of issues with these machines. That fine layer of metal dust settling over the area for that long has to play a part in the way the machines work.

I took the cz out to the same park I had the 75 at last weekend. Hunted 9 hours and ended up with 31 coins. 2 were silver mercs (one was a 1918S) 2 buffs, and 7 wheaties plus assorted clad. NOT MUCH TRASH. I ran in 0 disc about half the day and really liked the response of the cz. There were several areas with no identifiable coin targets. My buddy GOIO checked them behind me to see what I had missed and I hadnt missed much. He pulled 2 wheaties out that I didnt hear, or put my coil over.

Overall it was a good hunt. Most coins were 6 inches or less along with the nails that the machine apparently loves (they were all sharp tones) but all machines have their quirks. Now I gotta find place that has some deeper coinage so that I can really give my arms a workout with digging. TMAN...
August 24, 2008 02:50AM
T MAN
August 24, 2008 02:55AM
T MAN
I see in your post where you talk about the CZ-3D loving nails. I find if I work a 1/2 to 3/4 circle around the object and if it stays hi-tone the whole time it is usually a coin. A nail on the other hand will usually drop from hi-tone to iron and back. Hope this helps.
Mike
August 24, 2008 01:26PM
For those of whom are new to the CZ platform...... I suggest recovering ALL 4-way high tones....... then try recovering all 3-way high tones.
August 24, 2008 08:16PM
I took it out again today for a 5 hour hunt. I must be the worlds worst spot picker. lol. GOIO and I worked the park again today. Hit three spots (large park). The first spot was kinda hit and miss. Found 4 wheaties no silver and a few clad coins. The second spot was dead for both me and GOIO. I got 1 wheatie, a quarter and a nickel. The final spot killed me. I hunted an area due north of where GOIO was hunting. He has a 10" coil on his SE and was able to cover more ground than I was and it showed. I got 1 wheatie and 2 clad dimes. He ended up with a merc, a silver rosie several wheaties and several clad coins. In areas where the trash is light, is the CZ affected by the sweep of the coil? I dug a wheatie at 7 inches and the sound was good. If you are overlapping your swings by half of the coil and swinging at a moderate clip will that make a difference in missing targets? The reason I ask is you can almost swing the F75 like a light saber and still get tones. Thanks, TMAN...
August 25, 2008 01:42AM
Coil sweep speed on the CZ can be extremely quick...... or very slow,,,,,, and it makes very little difference...... as long as you do not pass over a trash target and then a good target that may be seperated by only a few inches. In this case, you would hear only one target. By slowing down the target, , , you will then hear both targets.

On any detector.... especially in trashy areas.... it's best to overlap the coil by up to 50%.... so as to NOT miss deeper targets..... or targets that are closely located to one another.