Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

DETECH 13" Ultimate coil inbound for the Mojave!

Posted by Alpha Goat 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
DETECH 13" Ultimate coil inbound for the Mojave!
February 20, 2017 04:40AM
Should have it in roughly 2 weeks. Stay tuned!
Re: DETECH 13" Ultimate coil inbound for the Mojave!
May 12, 2017 04:51AM
Alpha Goat Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Should have it in roughly 2 weeks. Stay tuned!

Well??

There was a lot of posts about the Mojave when it very first came out, and then it just died.

Is it still the cats meow of Tesoros or ?

Thanks!
Cal
May 12, 2017 09:33AM
The Mojave is an excellent machine. For the type of hunting I do in old sites with lots of old discarded iron and flat tin it's part of my regular detectors I use. I prefer the 5.75 concentric coil on it but the 7in stock coil is nice also. Everyone should have a good performing Tesoro with a small concentric coil in there lineup for sites like this.
May 12, 2017 10:22AM
Its a good detector but it falls short when it comes to the famous Tesoro concentric pinpointing. The Mojave is not as precise, feels more like a DD coil when trying to pinpoint. never needed a electronic pinpointer when using a Tesoro. With the Mojave, the PP is always in my left hand.......................not a detector I would use in a manicured lawn where you want to dig the smallest dia. plug possible.

DeepTech Vista X with 3 search coils.
Works for me

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2017 10:23AM by Sven1.
May 12, 2017 11:09AM
Sven1 Wrote:
> Its a good detector but it falls short when it com
> es to the famous Tesoro concentric pinpointing. Th
> e Mojave is not as precise, feels more like a DD c
> oil when trying to pinpoint. never needed a electr
> onic pinpointer when using a Tesoro. With the Moja
> ve, the PP is always in my left hand..............
> .........not a detector I would use in a manicured
> lawn where you want to dig the smallest dia. plug
> possible.

I would say that is a VERY accurate description of the Mojave.
May 12, 2017 12:19PM
"I am extremely surprised to read the comments above from Sven and D&P.

From what I had read about the Mojave it sounded like the best thing since sliced bread and I had then presumed it would have 'surgical-like' operation AND similar pin pointing?

If that's true then I think Alpha would be mad to fit a 13" coil to it???

In the past, I've had excellent behaviour from almost every Tesoro model and obtained great silver coin depths on dimes with an 11" coil.

So, I'm not going to believe the 'poor pin pointing' for now and will wait to try the 'Mojave' for myself."
May 12, 2017 12:48PM
Those pinpointing comments made me jump and go and double check my Mojave. I must be exceptionally great at pinpointing or I lucked up and got a special Mojave, because I can pinpoint dead-on with mine. LOL

tabman
May 12, 2017 08:49PM
I am not having any problem pinpointing on mine either, check it against my other Tesoro's seemed the same to me.
May 12, 2017 09:27PM
"You guys saying its poor at pin pointing, I ask you this.
What coil/s are you using to make that point?

The small 5.75 it comes with or others?

And, can you clearly identify what type of coil/s i.e. Concentric, or Double D"
May 12, 2017 10:13PM
I'm using the 7 inch concentric stock search coil on my Mojave. It's just totally amazing how well it works in and around iron. I love it! It does extremely well with Monte's nail broad test.

tabman
May 12, 2017 11:03PM
I was using the 7" that came with it, no better with the 8x9 for pinpointing. Coin targets from the surface to about 4" that give a nice clean audio report pinpoint pretty good, still pinpoints off the side of dead center.
Tabman must have gotten a Gem if his pinpoints accurately. I could be easily tempted to sell the Mo and go back to an Eldorado and or a Silver Sabre Umax where I could could a metal screwdriver probe right on top of a target.
I just had another owners Silver Sabre Umax in hand last week and it put the Mo to shame in the way of pinpointing, did a side by side comparison.

And Des, we are not very poor at pinpointing, I have been doing this detecting thing since the late 60's. I pride myself on precise pinpointing, the Mo I have just doesn't cut it.

I traded for this Mo, from a guy who bought it brand new , used it for a few weeks and was happy to part with it. Possible Tesoro let some sliders out the door that weren't up to snuff. The Mo I have is Good enough to use, too costly to ship to Tesoro and pay for return shipping to Canada for a non warranty issue, I am not the orig. purchaser.

Did open it up briefly this morning and found two trimpots, think one is GB and the other tied into the Disc control on the faceplate?

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?17,2368382,2368382#msg-2368382

Works for me
May 13, 2017 12:29AM
Something must be wrong Sven. Like you I have been using Tesoros since 1993 and I don't notice an issue with my Mojave. Seems to be just as accurate as my Vaquero, Bandido2 MM and Tejon. If you are noticing not getting the dead on pinpoint all Tesoros are known for than I believe you that somethings wrong.
May 13, 2017 01:02AM
Welgund Wrote:
> Something must be wrong Sven. Like you I have bee
> n using Tesoros since 1993 and I don't notice an i
> ssue with my Mojave. Seems to be just as accurate
> as my Vaquero, Bandido2 MM and Tejon. If you are
> noticing not getting the dead on pinpoint all Teso
> ros are known for than I believe you that somethin
> gs wrong.

Could very well be, shame Tesoro lets something like this slip out the door. Other than the PP issue, it works fine, just have to keep in mind the pp spot is about 1 to 1 1/2" off center depending on coin target size

Works for me
May 13, 2017 01:21AM
Well Des-----I don't give a sh-- if you believe me or not---I don't lie.----Having started detecting 42 yrs. ago--I do believe I know a little about running these things (and pin pointing).-----It didn't matter if I was using the 7" concentric stock coil or other coils--it didn't pinpoint well.-----Sure, it did ok down to 3 (maybe) 4 inches but anything deeper than that it was WAY to broad.----I've told others that contacted me this very fact--didn't keep it any secret.----It would make an "ok" shallow coin hunter or I guess would be all right if you were in areas where you could use a shovel--but that thing is WAY off from being precise on pinpointing deeper targets.-----I tested it against a Bandito 2 micromax & Silver Sabre micro max (using the same coils) & there wasn't anything to talk about---it couldn't even come close to them.---------Del
May 13, 2017 10:23AM
"OK guys.... I believe you!

Wasn't trying to insult anyone.

Could be a line issue as they struggled to keep up with demand (as we were told) some may have got out of kilter?"
May 13, 2017 12:56PM
Guess there's more people out there with this issue and lots of people who don't know there is an issue and keep on thinking its normal.
Reminds me of the White's MX Sport....... Tesoro is just keeping mum? Guess I shouldn't have opted for an early release model. Just wondering now if buying a Tesoro is turning into a crap shoot?
That's two latest models found issues with, Outlaw with problematic pinpoint button and now the Mojave? Now having had both, having second thoughts about ever buying a Tesoro again unless its an older model.
Got curious with all the hype posted about the Mo on other forums and wanted to see what the fuss was about, this time I caved in, the price was right.

Works for me
May 30, 2017 05:00PM
Well, I got a 'Mojave', for testing and already have multiple hunts with it.

First was a lawn search for some heirloom lost and property is For Sale.
Found 4 coins, one large copper penny 1944 had a nail in the hole too.
Found some large lead 'ingots', rounded and similar in size to a beer can top.
They very 'dense' and were loud targets.
Found a 3" lead plumb weight probably from the original build of the home (1880's) that was around 10" deep.
I didn't encounter any 'pin pointing' issue/s that were noted by a few of you.

Second hunt was the back yard of the same property.
Lots of junk in the form of scrap bits & pieces, remains of a kettle, a base for an iron to sit in and other 'junk!'
One noteworthy 'find' was a ferrous washer from a spot hunted to bits by myself and has featured in some of my videos.
Surprisingly, it came from about 7" with a right good two-way sound and easily isolated.
Before digging, I checked it with an Ace 250 that did register it but failed to pin point it.

Third hunt today in woods and found multiple targets, coins, buttons and miscellaneous army stuff e.g. bits of greatcoat buttons, broken hat badges etc.

So far I'm liking the "Mojave", and time will tell if I've any issues with it?

NB. The coil is the 7" concentric in White w/scuff cover ( had hoped for a brown colored one so are they now shipping with white coils?)
June 01, 2017 12:49PM
"I hadn't realised the Mojave doesn't have a PP button so in essence a handicap right away?
But, I have a question for you guys saying the PP is off: after you recover the target was it off to the Left or to the Right."
June 02, 2017 08:36AM
I will say one thing about the large coil. Be prepared to dig large iron targets. Yikes! But then again I relic hunt!
June 03, 2017 11:42PM
tabman Wrote:
> Those pinpointing comments made me jump and go and
> double check my Mojave. I must be exceptionally gr
> eat at pinpointing or I lucked up and got a specia
> l Mojave, because I can pinpoint dead-on with mine
> . LOL
>
> tabman

Mine is dead nuts, too. Maybe the second batch got rushed out the door.

Dirty ol' Digger
June 03, 2017 11:59PM
Des D Wrote:
> Well, I got a 'Mojave', for testing....The coil is the 7" concentric in White w/scuff
> cover ( had hoped for a brown colored one so are t
> hey now shipping with white coils?)

Really? The 7" concentric in white?
I've got to get one of them!

Dirty ol' Digger