Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Rosie at less than 3"

Posted by markg 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Rosie at less than 3"
September 11, 2008 07:37PM
I had something happen this summer very simular to what happened to Dankowski.
I was hunting with my Tejon in an old school yard.
I got a very faint, repeatable beep. Thinking it was a deep coin, I dug a larger than normal plug to prevent damage to the sod. To my complete suprise it turned out to be a silver rosie at less than 3" deep and laying perfectly flat. Well, needless to say, I immediately thought my machine needed to be sent back to Tesoro for a tune up.
I've read somewhere the only solution is to set your machine to the lowest discriminationn and dig all beeps.
Re: Rosie at less than 3"
September 18, 2008 12:42PM
Mark,

If only we knew just how bad..... and how many times good targets are masked.... and/or silently masked! ...... regardless of brand. Lowering Discrim may allow a lower 'composite' reading to be detected; however, it still does not 'unmask' targets. For example: A small nail and a silver quarter in close proximity may (now) ID as a pull-tab. If the intent is to recover pull-tabs...... and Disc is adjusted accordingly.... you may be 'in luck'!

Tom
Maybe..
September 18, 2008 02:50PM
Some units know how to add( fellow found two dimes and nickle) and registered quarter on his ID unit..Certainly most units may average two targets close together or for that matter one may mask the other out so one wonders how many good targets we have walked over. We can't dig them all especially in parks etc. but knowing your unit and its capabilities do allow an extra goodie or two to end up in the pouch...