Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Detecting with a cell phone on

Posted by turtleman 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Detecting with a cell phone on
March 01, 2009 06:24AM
I have a small business , so having my cell phone turned on and on my bell is a necessity. Are there any effect's on the detector that may not show up as falsing,
but may have an effect on depth. When i sit in front of my computer I call tell my phone is going to ring before it does my the static sound coming from the computer.

Thanks
Re: Detecting with a cell phone on
March 01, 2009 04:02PM
Yes, at high gain settings w/F75, you may encounter EMI/chatter due to cell phone...... especially if it's about to ring. Having reduced detector performance levels without knowing it is possible, especially if you are using any discrimination. By placing Disc on '0', this will allow you to hear if there are any forms of interference. The F75/T2/F70 differ from the CZ's in that you will positively know when you encounter ANY minute' amount of interference by presenting audio instability..... as long as Disc is on '0'. The CZ is prone to encountering interference...... but will STILL remain silent, , , and you have no clue that you are encountering interference whilst detector operates at a (silent) reduced performance level.
March 02, 2009 07:46AM
Thanks Tom
Could this also show up in the form of mystery signals that give a good tone but you can never seem to locate the target, especially on targets deeper than 4-5 inches.

thanks
March 02, 2009 12:03PM
Yes, it's possible. I'm not sure of the frequency of the ping-pong "poll" rate of a cell phone (when it poll's the tower for updates), yet I have observed the F75 suddenly 'squalk' when I was carrying a cell phone.
March 03, 2009 01:29PM
a few months ago i bought from bass pro shop what my buddy jimmie used for detecting vest - "bird hunting vest"
1 big pocket on each side and large enclosed back area for putting the birds.

it is like 3/4 vest and comes down midway to chest and snaps in place-has should straps

well i added my relic knife to left side snap belt and my newer model garrett probe to the right side of snap belt

when i owned my E-trac, no interference at all, but with the F75 cranked up, whenever i make the swing to the right, just past my right knee,

b i n g o, she will pick up that probe each and every time

f y i
March 04, 2009 10:14AM
Sometimes "too sensitive" is a curse. However; most all of the time..... it's a blessing.