Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Tones..Tom

Posted by Lawrenzo 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Tones..Tom
August 13, 2009 03:35PM
I use the mono tone for hunting and at parks and schools I use 4H...Tom can you explain the pros and cons of all of the tones for relic and turf hunting...Like the two tone for relic hunting why is that not used as much as mono..less masking you do get more info on iron in 2tone...You also hunt in an area that is a lot different from other ground have you tried different in differnt States?

And you wrote that it takes about ten years to come up with a different platform on a new detector are we going to have to wait that long for a new top end detecotr from Fisher...I know you NASA guys are a different breed from the avarge hunter. But it is always fund seeing change that can make a difference.

Even no the F75 is one of the best there seems that there is a lot more that can be done to take our hobby to the next level before we really lose good sights to growth and cement...

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
Re: Tones..Tom
August 13, 2009 05:48PM
Monotone has one set of critical attributes..... as does 4-tones. Two & three tone modes do not; other than personal taste.

I know I am repeating myself...... (several dozen times)....... as most of the following info is in MANY other threads & posts.

Monotone = Primarily used for relic hunters (and prospecting). Say you have a silver Barber dime in the mix with 3 nails...... and all of these targets are several inches deep and VERY close together. The individual nails may Discrim out at a setting of '5'..... but you may need a Disc setting of '6' to discrim out the pile of nails. BUT.... now, there is a silver dime 'in the mix'. This badly masked dime... and nails may ID as (say) a VDI of '13'. If you are in 2-tone (or 3 tone....or 4 tone)..... a VDI reading of '13' will give you a iron tone (the low tone) in your headphones. Are you going to dig iron tones? Are you going to dig ALL iron hits? No and No. Sooooo....You will miss this target. BUT..... IF you are in monotone and you have a Disc setting of '6'.... this combo of targets under the coil will give you a audio report of 'good target'..... and you will probably recover this target. Monotone is for the serious relic hunter.

2-tones & 3-tones = These are for fatigue-free cherry-picking. Relic hunters may like the 2-tone option..... but the fact of the matter is, many targets will remain masked (unrecovered) due to reasons stated above.

4-tones + There is an added attribute to this tone option. So as NOT to repeat myself too much, , , , many, many old coins will ID at a higher tone whilst in 4-tone option. If you switch back to 3-tone..... these old coins will ID as a mid-tone (trash tone...that sounds like pull-tabs)..... and will most probably remain unrecovered. The 4-tone option will allow nearly all coins to ID as a higher tone.

If the information above also does not help.....or is STILL not understood.... I will try to explain it again,,, in yet ANOTHER different way. Just holler!

Tom
So by this
August 13, 2009 08:01PM
If you're hunting for old coins which might include gold, a person should use the mono tone and discrimination of 6 and dig all repeatable signals above 13, correct? This would decrease the odds of losing a masked coin etc.
Re: So by this
August 14, 2009 12:35AM
Yes, that's correct.
Re: Tones..Tom
August 14, 2009 04:31AM
Thanks TOM good job!

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!