Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Changed from 3H tones to 4 tones this past week and . . .

Posted by Cal_cobra 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Changed from 3H tones to 4 tones this past week and . . .
February 11, 2010 11:26PM
My wheatback finds have all but disappeared over the past week while hunting with my F75 LTD, but one day I went out with the CZ70 and in an afternoon I snagged eight wheaties. On my way home I thought that was odd that I was getting so many wheaties with the CZ70 and almost none with the F75 LTD. Then I remembered that I had switched from 3H tones to 4 tones to test it out. OK, that makes sense, and when I played around with it, sure enough the tone window is different enough between the two tone settings that 99% of the wheaties are sounding off in the zinc window, whereas before it was probably about a 50/50 split (earlier wheats to the 30's tend to hit that zinc window and the later ones the copper penny window).
Re: Changed from 3H tones to 4 tones this past week and . . .
February 12, 2010 02:03AM
Brian,

That's correct. Usually.....wheats in the 20's and especially the ones in the teen's will ID as 'zinc' penny. In 3-tone mode...........these wheats will audibly ID as a mid-tone/trash-tone. ALL Indian Head's ID.........at best (highest)......as a 'zinc' penny.........and most always on the lower end of the zinc window...............lower than today's true zinc pennies. Plenty of other older generation coins ID in the bottom end of the zinc window.......and even into the higher end of 'square tab' conductivity/zone.
February 12, 2010 02:19AM
What's interesting is that I used to dig a LOT more wheats in 3H tones. For some odd reason 4 tones seems to be little better on silver though. I'm on the fence between using 3H and 4 tones, I enjoy finding Indian Heads, even wheats, so I guess I better start digging all those 50's signals in 4 tones :-)

Unfortunately a lot of trash seeps into the 50's range, including some steel bottle caps and some square & round tabs. I believe the F75 LTD in boost mode, having it's affinity to upaverage and make smaller targets sound more pronounced/larger, is great for finding gold, but not so great in that aspect for working in trash.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2010 07:22AM by Cal_cobra.
February 12, 2010 11:31PM
Dig ALL of those 50's ID's. Yes , , , the ratio of trash-to-good is a bit higher.......BUT...........well worth the effort.