Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Question about the 1280X

Posted by crabman 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Question about the 1280X
March 06, 2010 08:53PM
I think I should have done a little more research before buying my 1280X. I was really looking for an all-around detector and I thought the 1280X was it and it was in my price range. Now, I don't have a lot of experience detecting, but I am finding that it's performance on land is "sub-par" and I have all the typical problems with it at the beach. Meaning, it gets really noisy on mineralized sand, or down by the surf, lights up like crazy when the salt water touches it. I am stuck constantly adjusting it, and feel like I am really missing out on depth.

Since, I have been perusing the forums quite a bit more, doing a lot more reading.
Seems like the number one use of this detector is for fresh water diving. Is this true? Because I really don't plan on doing any of that. Anyway, I just bought a used CZ-6A. Don't have the detector yet, but it sounds like it will be much better at the general type of hunting I want to do.

I am left with the question on what to do with the 1280X? Any advice or opinions here? Should I give it another chance? Or cut my losses and sell it? Am I right, that this machine really only excels when used for fresh water diving?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions, tips.
Re: Question about the 1280X
March 07, 2010 02:46AM
Bail on the 1280X. It is VERY gold-dead in wet salt. And you are correct......it is sub-par for inland hunting. When you receive the CZ-6a..............as long as it is a normal performer..................it'll be night-n-day difference when compared to 1280X. I know some folks 'swear' by it.............but you will have your factual answer ...once you receive the CZ.
March 07, 2010 08:57PM
For years was considered one of the best((freshwater) water units around even though a little weak on lower end gold jewelry..Will chatter like heck on a saltwater shore and your CZ6A will purr like a kitten. May still be the deepest water units around in freshwater but a Tesoro water unit will spank it relative finding gold jewelry especially the small stuff....Same old story most serious detectorists have more than one unit and if you are going into the saltwater an Excalibur would be my choice along with the CZ20 as its locked in saltmode...and lets not forget the Sov. as it excells on saltwater beaches also....
March 08, 2010 01:33AM
Well I guess I will list the 1280X on ebay once I have the CZ in hand. Part of me thinks about keeping it in the case that I ever do have the opportunity to hunt fresh water, but I guess if I ever get serious about diving and need a submersible, I'll probably opt for the Excal II.

Thanks for the help and advice.

Tom, once I receive the 6A, if I find that it is not performing properly, can I talk to you about a tune-up? Or can you refer me to someone else? How much does a tuning generally run?
March 09, 2010 01:16AM
FIRST......let's see how your CZ-6a works. Then........if you want it converted to a CZ-3D......or feel it needs a tune-up.......or whatever else.....,,,,,,,,,,,,..............we'll cross that bridge when we have better answers.
And if you fresh-water hunt.........the good thing about the CZ-6a is...you can take it out of the 'salt' mode......and it becomes MUCH more sensitive to smaller gold items. VERY IMPORTANT!
April 05, 2010 03:35AM
For freshwater detecting the best Ive ever tried is the Tesoro Tiger shark. I liked the Fisher 1280X, but I felt the Tesoro was a little hotter. Plus it has manual ground balance and is built like a tank.

The 1280x was always a second choice, in my opinion. Not a bad one mind you; if I couldn't have a T/S, I'd be happy with an Aquanaut.
April 05, 2010 07:59PM
That's one unit I have never tested.........BUT.......(with confidence) I'd like to see a head-to-head of Tiger Shark vs F75 LTD in boost mode....in fresh water applications.
April 05, 2010 10:59PM
I rather suspect the LTD would win, until you submerged the control housing....... After that, the waterproof Tiger Shark would walk away.