Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Couldn't I just buy a newer CZ3D and pay to have it tuned up?

Posted by Mojave 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Couldn't I just buy a newer CZ3D and pay to have it tuned up?
April 20, 2010 09:01AM
Or are the electronics in the older 1021 models significantly better than the newer ones. I was under the impression that the fine tuning is what is lacking in the newer models. I am having a fair amount of difficulty locating a 1021 CZ 3D. I have seen a few CZ70 Pros, CZ7As, and CZ6As, but I don't like the idea of the limited digital control over sensitivity. I think the analog controls were better.

I can find the newer CZ3D's easily, often for good prices. If this is possible, how much would Tom or someone else charge for the service?

Thanks
Re: Couldn't I just buy a newer CZ3D and pay to have it tuned up?
April 20, 2010 12:58PM
Mojave,

Not sure if you are aware, but the CZ6a's are analog and have knobs to adjust all functions. They are not the digital models like the CZ70.

Not sure how much you will detect older, pre 1950 sites looking for older coins. If that is primarily what you will be doing, then getting a CZ3D is a good bet.

If you are going to do all around hunting ( including salt water beaches), then a used 6a would be the ticket since you could probably get it much cheaper. I have 2 6a's that were made when they first came out, and I can tell you they are deep and can pull out deep silver coins with the best of them. Also, they are more water resistant and dust resistant due to them not having a speaker, hence there are no speaker grills where dirt and salt air can get into.

Also, if I am not mistaken, Tom D could re-configure a 6a to CZ3D specs in that the discrimination windows could be adjusted to have some of the older nickels and some gold rings hit as high tone. There would still only be 3 tones, and this change will not effect depth ( I think I read a post from Tom stating if the CZ that is being re-configured is not up to depth specs, this change would not increase the depth, but only make certain targets hit as high tone...similar to a 3D in enhanced mode). Not sure if Tom can also bring the unit in question up to depth specs or if First Texas would have to do it.

When I speak of depth specs, I am talking about what Tom D uses as parameters to test a CZ. When I did my depth tests (in air, which really only shows preliminarily what the unit can do) on my 6a's and 3D, I had the unit set with sensitivity at 4-5, discrim on 0, volume at 10, GB at 5. The units will hit a clad dime, high tone hit, at 10+ inches. I think if a CZ is in the range of 9-10+ inches doing this test, then the unit is fine. Anything less, and it may need adjusting. Surely if the unit cannot hit the dime at 7 inches, there is something wrong.

I have a 1021 CZ3D and that sucker is deep and it does hit high tone on certain targets where my 6a hits as mid tone. I have not used the 3D at the beach, but I do know in dirt hunting, it is slightly deeper and hits high tone in my test garden better than my 6a's. I have a few deep silver dimes, a copper penny, zinc penny and other targets and the 3D can go deeper and hit high tone better in the good targets. Plus, the 4th tone on the 3D does help a lot when listening to the bounces. Foil now has it's own tone, and that is helpful in a lot of applications.

Hope this helps.

JC
April 20, 2010 01:06PM
Hi there,
I have two of the newer CZs and they both air test on this test at about 10 inches. I have been amazingly happy with them. I have a new F75 LTD and there are a lot of times I would rather be using the CZ.
I like the pace that I can hunt at and I like their ability to let me know when to slow down and check something more carefully. I had never used a Fisher until three years ago and now I have three. Guess it means the CZ3 lived up to the hype for me.

HH, Don
April 20, 2010 02:38PM
Don,

That is one of the main reasons I love the CZ's...the slower sweep speed. I have an Whites XL-Pro and it's a sweet unit, but you have to swing the coil really fast...even the small coil, in order to get depth in discriminate mode.

Since I have some minor shoulder issues, the fast sweep speed is too much for me.

Last thing is being able to scrub the CZ coil without falsing. I had mentioned this in a previous post, but the CZ is the only detector I have that I can scrub the ground or sand, and not be bothered by falsing due to the coil hitting the ground.

JC
April 20, 2010 10:23PM
Don't be afraid of the CZ-70, 7a, 7a-Pro......and it's digital Sensitivity settings. On most all of these digital units...........a Sens setting of '4' is 98% max depth. A Sens setting of '6' is 100% depth capabilities. Higher Sens settings ( 8 & 10 ) only 'widen' the footprint......and virtually no additional depth is realized. Yes, I can convert a CZ-6a to full '3D' spec's, if necessary.
April 21, 2010 06:11AM
I think that Mojave is saying that finding an older "1021" CZ3D is difficult and that instead he can buy a newer cz3d and have Tom tune it up.
April 21, 2010 03:57PM
Also, there are new CZ3D's that are 'up to spec' and that it's just more of a probability to get a new one that is not, than an older one. It appears the quality control on the older ones was better, hence most of them being 'up to spec'.

It's good to know that if you do get a new one, and it is not up to par, that Tom can work his magic to make it right.