Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Notch Question - F70

Posted by groundscanner 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Notch Question - F70
March 08, 2011 02:56PM
At factory settings the Notch is set at 1. So the question is: is notch deactivated at the factory settings?

The reason that I am asking is that I never (intentionally) use the notch feature. But the other day the F70 was acting as if I had notched "in" small iron. It was "growling" constantly on iron readings even with disc. set at "15". Finally I reset the F70 to the factory settings and then put the settings back to my preferred settings. After doing this the machine worked just fine (in other words not sounding off on targets that were disc. out).

Has anyone else had this happen?

Thanks,

Michael
Re: Notch Question - F70
March 08, 2011 11:40PM
Yes, factory preset is NO notch(s).

You are referring to "Program 1". This should be no discrimination. This can be verified by the 'slash' (actually ... NO slashes) on the top of the LCD screen.

Sound(s) like you had a 'bug' in the system.......and performing a factory reset corrected the problem.
March 09, 2011 04:08AM
Mr. D --

I know what groundscanner is referring to, though. When you start off in "program 1" and you run through the settings, the defaults are sens. 60, disc. 15, speed dE, thresh -3 (I think), tones 3 (I think), and notch 1. I think "notch 1" is "no notch being used," as no category of metal at the top of the screen shows up as being "notched out" when notch is set at 1 (the default setting).

Steve
March 09, 2011 12:18PM
Thanks guys!
March 09, 2011 11:10PM
Tom,

My brother also thought that the machine was "glitching" software-wise. Is this a common occurrence with the F-series? I have had this happen twice since I have owned the machine, and re-setting the unit corrected the problem both times.
March 10, 2011 12:15AM
I'm not familiar with any software glitches; yet, I have powered F70's and F75's........and found them to NOT be in the last config before turning off. A couple of times.....I found myself 'bumping' the controls ... as I was turning off the unit(s).....which would cause this. So, I speculate that I instigated the problem. I have had a set of batteries die.........causing the program to be glitched (but this is somewhat normal/expected).
March 10, 2011 01:15AM
I had this problem on Sunday. It was doing the iron "growl" in DE mode as if it was running in all-metal. It was reading every little bit of iron (or at least that was my impression). The problem was that I was running at a disc. of 15, sen. of 88 and threshold of -3. Thus it shouldn't have been "growling" much at all. After the reset I went back over the same ground and the machine performed correctly and it properly discriminated out the small iron. I wonder if an improper ground balance could have been the culprit?

Anyway, yesterday I hunted for several hours without a single problem.

Thanks again for the comments.
March 11, 2011 02:57AM
Yes, indeed. Improper Grnd Bal can cause this.
March 11, 2011 12:37PM
Thanks Tom!