Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Finally joining the CZ-3D club.

Posted by Mike Hillis 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Finally joining the CZ-3D club.
December 17, 2010 04:30PM
Found and bought a most excellent condition series 1021 unit with all the coils for a slow motion deep coin hunter. Passes the dime air test just fine at 11" - 12". Not too sure about the nickel responses yet, but I've only spent 20 minutes with it making sure all the coils work, etc. I'll put more bench time on it Saturday night and take it hunting Sunday morning to see how it likes my ground. Shouldn't have too much trouble there though as the deep coin areas are mostly old flood planes the Rio Grande liked to cover with water and silt back in the old days.

Sure is a pretty looking detector. Has that "take me out" look to it.

Read a ton of stuff about it and if anyone has any info they want to share to make my learning curve shorter, feel free to post away.

HH
Mike
Re: Finally joining the CZ-3D club.
December 17, 2010 05:30PM
I have had mine for about 3 months, Love it. You need to find the sweet spot on the sensitivity. Mine is 4.8 to 5 for max depth. Read Nasa Tom's articles and you will know all you need to know.

Tom in SC
December 21, 2010 02:21AM
Mike,

I use a 3D also.
You can read some of my comments below:

[www.treasurequestxlt.com]

Wish I could get out with mine. It hasn't been above freezing here for 2 weeks!
Good luck with it........see ya yardhunter
December 21, 2010 03:14AM
Looking forward to finding out what you think about that 3D. I really enjoyed my CZ70 when I had one.
December 21, 2010 03:56AM
Mike,

I look forward to your comments regarding this machine. Some of my best finds have come from using a CZ-3D.

I obtained best results by hunting with no discrimination and listening for that high tone among the other sounds. Set the audio below the point were Audio Boost kicks in this way you get modulated audio for the deep coins.

Listen for the high tone squeak among the low tone iron grunts. Many of my deeper items would not give high tone in N-S and E-W sweeps. Investigate the high tone, low tone bouncers that sound faint.

If you use discrimination, it is easy to get fooled by deep iron that give off an intermittent high tone. With no discrimination these are usually easy to distinguish.

Really neat machine that I very much regret selling.

Best regards,

Keith
December 21, 2010 06:35PM
You going old school Mike? You sold your V3i? (If I read your post on the Metal Detecting Equipment forum correctly - please explain as you talked really positively about that machine.) I do like the knobs too. Changing my Omega's sensitivity and discrimination is really easy with the knobs; I couldn't imagine doing that with buttons. (That said a detector with two discrimination settings would be nice as mostly I run zero but sometimes I would like to just push a button and be at 16 but a knob is pretty damn close.)

Now there is that post about maybe the CZ-3D is going out of production. Sounds like you got your hands on a classic. Let us know how it performs.