Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

cz's 4 sale?

Posted by rapidroy7 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
cz's 4 sale?
December 27, 2010 08:08PM
would like 2 buy one of Tom;s modified cz's if not whats my next best option for a waterproof, wet sand hunter?Looks like the cz-3d?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2010 09:37PM by rapidroy7.
Re: cz's 4 sale?
December 28, 2010 01:58AM
Well, waterproof being the key, there are a few VLF's that would do the trick ( remember, the CZ3D is NOT waterproof). Also, I assume when you state wet sand, it is salt water beaches:

Fisher CZ21
Minelab Excal
Whites Beach Hunter ID
Detector Pro Wader

If you are hunting freshwater, the Tesoro Tiger shark is one of the best for that application. But it is not a good salt water beach hunter.

I listed them in no particular ranking, but I am partial to CZ's so I give the CZ21 the nod. If you do not plan on submerging the unit, and want a water RESISTANT unit, look for a used CZ6a ( my favorite detector of all time). It is splash proof and rain proof, but you can not dunk it. There are 4 coils that can be used on that unit, and to me, one of the best wet sand machines ever. It does NOT have a speaker ( there is an optional external speaker you can buy but I am not sure who sells them since the CZ6a is no longer made), so headphones must be used.

If you want to go the Pulse Induction ( PI ) route:

Garrett Infinium
Tesoro Sand Shark
Detector Pro Head Hunter PI
Whites Dual Field

JC
December 28, 2010 03:33AM
thanks jc i have a t2,compadre,bh pioneer 505 i am planning a visit 2 the beach from central il. i tried running t2 on wet river sand with no luck, found 21 cents on the way down in dry sand with some trash, i can only imagine wet salt sand? I have never owned a fisher think i'll look for a cz 21 or cz6a, i saw a cz6 on ebay the other day.P.S. maybe pulse would be the way 2 go if i wanted something 2 run higher than 13-14 khz(t2)?
December 28, 2010 01:54PM
Rapid,

I suggest staying away from a CZ6 ( NOT 6a) because it has a different coil connection that the other CZ's so you can't use any of the coils that the 'normal' CZ's use. You have to use coils for the 6, and they are hard to find. Most 6's end up getting converted to 6a's, so if you see a CZ6 that has been converted, then it may be a good deal.

Just so you are aware, a pulse is not like a VLF, where it has a frequency like 14kHZ or 19kHz. Pulse units run differently than VLF's. In simple terms, a pulse unit sends out a signal ( pulse ) and then in laymans terms, shuts off, and then back on again to receive a signal coming back. This function is done in micro seconds, and the pulse delay knob on some units varies the timing that the unit turns the signaling on and off. The unit still looks for eddie currents coming from the targets, but it does not continuously send and receive signals like a VLF.

You can read up on PI units on the net as there is a lot of good information. But don't think it is like a VLF unit. There is no discrimination with a pulse unit, per se, although units like the Whites TDI, Garrett Infinium and Eric Foster Gold Scan have a type of tone ID and some discrimination capabilities, but not like a VLF unit. Pulse units are almost immune to soil mineralization and the effects of salt water, go deep, but also love all metal, so you will dig a lot more junk with a PI unit. But you won't miss much either. I have several different PI units, and the best one I have for discrimination is the Whites TDI. It uses the ground balance control along with the pulse delay and conductivity switch as a means to discriminate certain targets. But if I am coin hunting on land, most times I use a VLF unit....my CZ6a, DFX or Minelab Advantage. I have coin hunted with the small coil on the TDI and it works fine, but you have to set it up to run where you can find copper and silver, but discriminate out iron, foil, aluminum and nickels. You do that by running the unit with the conductivity switch on High and setting the ground balance where the low conductive targets and most iron do not sound off. Pretty cool I say.

Check out Toms piece on the Minelab GP on this site ( I cannot remember the name of the article) as that is a PI unit, and he used it comparing that to standard VLF units and found that the PI got a lot more targets the VLF's missed. It is an eye opening read for sure. But if you get a PI, be prepared for a pretty long learning curve if you want to try to discriminate...it's mostly done via ear and target sizing. The units are simple to use if you want to dig it all, but takes some time to learn what 'good' vs 'bad' targets sound like.

JC
December 28, 2010 03:44PM
wow thanks again jc i know the difference between 6 & 6a now,my compadre's coil is hardwired, started with it 2 years ago,after 7 months of addiction i bought the t2 and boy did it throw me a humble pie curve ball! Now i love it rarely use the others, great info on the pulse detectors sounds like the pulse would be good on meteorites and wrongs? DREAM BIG p.s. if i could borrow toms ears 4 awhile i would be a lot better detectorist sounds like a penny feels like a dime?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2010 03:49PM by rapidroy7.