Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Concentric vs DD for Black sand tracking

Posted by Lonetree 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Concentric vs DD for Black sand tracking
December 31, 2010 02:30PM
I got the impression that a DD coil may hinder the ability to track the black sand in a stream and that I should use the Concentric coil for this. I have an Omega 8000 and really like it. If you have any pointers/instructions for doing this I would like to hear them also. If there is another MD that is old a cheap that would work great for this I would think of adding it in just for this.

We watched Tom's video again around Christmas with family, conversation and adult beverages I may have missed it. Then again every time I watch the video I gleen something else from it.

You all have a happy new year.

Jim
Re: Concentric vs DD for Black sand tracking
January 01, 2011 01:23PM
In nearly all applications..... a DD coil will perform/work better in black sand. A concentric coil will electronically 'see' more of it.....causing more falsing and inhibiting depth.
As far as 'tracking'......this is a function of the detector. Not all detectors have 'auto-tracking' (continuous automatic ground tracking/balancing). If the unit does have this function.......due to the newer electronic architect (technology)...... there should be better tracking performance with a DD coil equipped detector.
January 02, 2011 02:46AM
Jim,
I think Tom mis-understood your question.

I read it as you are wanting to track the black sand concentrations. Not only are you wanting to trace it but you are also looking areas of greater concentrations. The Omega has the FE305 graph that will allow you to do just that. As Tom said, a concentric coil will "see" a greater volume of ground and it will allow you to track black sand concentrates. However, a concentric may not let you accurately track the concentration differences as it would overload or max out the FE graph sooner. The DD would do a better job of tracing the higher concentration areas. Coil control would be an important aspect too as you have to keep the coil a constant height above the ground or the FE bar will max out when you touch the ground if you are already in a patch or streak of it.

HH
Mike
January 05, 2011 09:46PM
Thanks Tom and Mike,

Mike you are correct that is what I want to do. If I can follow the lay of the heavy black sand in the creek will stand a better chance of the gold. On the Gold Prospector show on TV he went to Garret. They said that a DD mask's some of the ground mineralization.