Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Hunting fields with the G2

Posted by southernexplorer 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Hunting fields with the G2
January 16, 2011 01:17AM
I just received the G2 Friday and was able to take it for a long walk today in a cane field down in south Louisiana.(60+ degrees today) I normally hunt with an F75 SE but I just had to try out a G2. As Tom says in his test on it that it is not as deep as the F75 but the mentle fatigue factor is just much lower with the G2 in iron infested sites. In this field depth is of no concern, only trying to find something mixed in the iron is the biggest challenge. While I was hunting with the G2 my dad was hunting with an F70 with large DD coil trying to deciper all the spikes and clicks from good targets mixed in 200 years of iron. After 3 hours of hunting we both had a pouch full of brass pieces, melted lead, a few civil war era buttons, 1 rev. war script "I" (my first one) and even some old coins including a seated dime and 2 shield nickels. I can say for certain that the G2 is much easier to cope with in these iron infested sites. I will also say that the F70 can hold its own in these sites also but it to is a little more fatiging.

Tommy C.
(southernexplorer)
Deus - Etrac - GPX 5000
Re: Hunting fields with the G2
January 16, 2011 02:18AM
Sounds like you were hunting with a smaller coil on the G2.
Re: Hunting fields with the G2
January 16, 2011 04:21AM
I was using the 11" stock coil and it was working very good. The low tones of iron were very smooth and when I did go over a non-ferrous item it was very noticeable.
I was running 100 sens. and 30 disc with no trouble at all. I think these conditions is where the G2 will be more enjoable to hunt than the F75.

Tommy C.
(southernexplorer)
Deus - Etrac - GPX 5000
Dirt Meter
January 16, 2011 04:26AM
I had 3 bars when in all metal with a ground balance of I think 69.

Tom or anyone else that knows,
At what dirt bar level do you think the F75 starts to have trouble finding targets or the G2 for that matter? Will the F70 perform the same as the F75 and G2 in bad ground?

Tommy C.
(southernexplorer)
Deus - Etrac - GPX 5000
Re: Dirt Meter
January 17, 2011 03:42AM
The moment the dirt starts to have any form of mineralization......is the moment that attenuation commences. And.......as to be expected, the more the mineralization..... the greater the signal attenuation.