Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Coins and Ants

Posted by TheOtherLeggoHead 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Coins and Ants
January 13, 2011 04:03AM
Something that I have noticed. At least, here in Michigan.

Many times while digging up a target, I have found near a coin, tons of live ants. Not just a few, but many. I have noticed that whenever I find a single coin target, and there is an abundancy of ants in the plug area, there is almost always more coins either together, or very close to the initial find. Has anyone else taken notice of this?
Re: Coins and Ants
January 13, 2011 04:09AM
I have noticed this many times. Not with coins but crushed cans or metal objects.

Kurt
January 13, 2011 04:33AM
Would our resident entomologist please answer this. And it is a very interesting question.
January 13, 2011 05:22AM
I wonder if ant mounds are full of old silver coins!JK smiling smiley
January 13, 2011 05:51AM
Oh yeah, "noticed" that several times when digging a coin.----Especially when they make their presence known thru stinging--look down & they're all over my shoes & pants legs.----On those occassions I didn't dig right into their nest to notice them but they were sure in the immediate area & "noticed" me. (in a hurry) grin --------Del
I too have noticed this phenomenon here in the Southeast
January 13, 2011 07:46AM
My guess is the ground is loosened up pretty dang good in an ant hole...you see how easy it is to dig in...... Really cavernous ......In bad dirt this might be enough to unmask a tightly packed target?

My red clay will just kill the punch of the signal ...Dense ground is hard for a signal to punch through....more like plowed ground...Some detector's perform well in plowed ground other's in a non disturbed ground....Sovereign's don't do well in a disturbed ground...But a 1266 likes it at least around here it does

Or it could just be the law of average's...

But good topic...Could be some scientific proof to this?

Keith

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2011 08:04AM by Keith Southern.
January 13, 2011 01:08PM
I have come across that many times. I always feel a little bad, thinking that I messed up a lot of hard work..especially when the ants scrambel to pick up the eggs to relocate & protect them. Even disturbing earthworms and beetle larve bothers me a bit. I guess as I get older, life seems more precious. Allthough, I don't have a problem smashing a mosquito or swatting a fly... go figure.
January 13, 2011 04:30PM
I have found several very good signals in Fire ant mounds. And no I don't dig them, just make a mental note of location and hope they move to another location.

Tom in SC
January 13, 2011 06:21PM
I went to Houston, Texas during the boom in the late 70's and learned the hard way about fire ants. In PA we don't have fire ants, at least none that I've come across. Usually the plug is out before I notice an ant colony.
January 22, 2011 01:56AM
I dug many targets with ants in the plugs, I just think there are a lot of ants, it's the full moon theory , you only remember nuts during full moons because you look up and see the moon