Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Screen, menu button and selector button lock up on LTD

Posted by Cuniagau 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Screen, menu button and selector button lock up on LTD
January 31, 2011 08:49PM
I know that this forum has more LTD users than the rest combined and also some of the most expert experts on the planet. That being said here was my problem last Friday.
I had the F75 LTD on a sandy beach area of a local lake that is down about 5 feet. Normally a water detecting site except it is usually full of bikini babes and I cannot focus on detecting. LOL Anyway my LTD locked up twice. What I mean by locking up is the screen goes blank and the only thing that works is the audio and ground balance switch and the power knob. The menu button nor the selector knob work at all. I even turned off the machine both by the power knob and by pulling the batteries. When it came back on it was still with a blank screen. I at first thought that it did it because the batteries were low. (last bar on the scale) But after I changed the batteries to brand new ones it worked for about 45 minutes to an hour and locked up again. Same thing, menu button and selector knob and screen would not work. Also it was not getting the depth that it should have. Only one of two pulltabs below 6 inches.
I finally put it back in the boat and got my Minelab SE out and finished the hunt. I went back over the area that I had hunted with the LTD and dug dozens more targets that F75 had missed. I was miles from electrical lines and was running the F75 at 99 sen, 0 disc, 4h tones, GB at 78 and in Boost mode. It was stable right up through the lockups.
The Minelab SE was also running hot-32 sen, all metal, 8 gain, ferrous mode.
The first time the F75 locked up I was switching over to all metal to see if I could get more depth. Once I switched to all metal, it just locked up. The second time it just locked up in Disc mode. Both times it was locked up at least 5 to 10 minutes while I fiddled with it. Tried to do a factory reset but since the menu button didn't work, it would not reset. The first time it locked up, I tried everything and then headed back to the boat and about the time I got there, the display suddenly started working again. (about 5 to 10 minutes after it went blank)
I was using the stock 11 coil the first time and had switch to a 10 inch concentric coil before the last lockup.
I still need to do a factory reset and try it and maybe gather more information on any other observations that I can make when/if it happens again.
Anyone had the problem or heard of it? Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Cuniagau

“Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from any direction.”
Re: Screen, menu button and selector button lock up on LTD
January 31, 2011 11:32PM
I had the exact same problem with an early cameo 75LTD. Sent it back and eventually got a new unit after 30 days. Switched coils, batteries, etc...I give First Texas a "C".

Nuff said...
February 01, 2011 10:52PM
Sounds like a software glitch......of/or relating to partial power distribution problem.
February 02, 2011 03:55AM
If in fact it were a software issue that would itself be reason enough to engineer a USB port to enable software upgrades over time. Of course it could be used Etrac-like, but I'd rather see it used for continual, incremental improvements as is used today for computers, GPS devices, smartphones, etc... I imagine the amount of programming will exponentially increase during the next decade thus rendering the need for subsequent software upgrades almost a necessity.

Just my 2-cents...