Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Strange Weather

Posted by ozzie 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Strange Weather
February 02, 2011 08:25PM
Last time I was out detecting I was summoned to find a guy's keys in the snow, in the woods, with sucess, that was a few weeks ago. So all I have to write about is the weather, hope you don't mind.

We have accumulated about 12 to 15 inches of snow here in SE, PA. The weather from yesterday thru today is making for some rare sights and sounds.
Yesterday there was a sort of mist in the air & the temperature was below freezing, stayed in the 20's.

This early morning I was awakened by things hitting the snow covered roof and sliding down.
I got out of bed, looked out the window to see a crust of glimmering ice formed on top of the snow, and it was raining.
Puddles of rainwater on top of the crusted snow...beautiful. Looked at the digital thermometer and the temperature was 24 degrees F....raining??? unusual.

I live on a couple & a half acres with hardwoods above 80 feet tall and woods all around me. The trees and branches are covered in crystal ice, again, beautiful.
I went outside on the covered porch to let the dog out and heard the constant, cracking sound of ice covered branches falling and echoing throughout the woods. It's a distinct sound when the ice from the branches hits the hard crust of the snow and spewes out with a sort of hissing tingling sound.
I stood there for a while, it was good show. Our power went out for about 3 hrs due to a falling branch somewhere down the line.

It's now 2:40 pm and the temperature is 34 degrees. The ice is still falling snapping branches...branches all over the place. The puddles on top of the snow are gone due to the branches poking drain holes in the crust.
Some of the fallen branches will need a chain saw put to them for fire wood, the small ones for kindeling.

Well, I'm finished typing about the weather, so on to something else to keep boredom from setting in. Good Day
Re: Strange Weather
February 02, 2011 10:13PM
Texas is getting 20 degree weather !!......Strange stuff all over the country !!....Jim
February 02, 2011 10:44PM
Yes Ozzie i am here in SE PA also. In Lancaster County. Watching and listening to the ice pop off the trees was just great to watch. Mother nature sure can put on a show. Some of our shrubs are just damaged so bad I fear my wife will be spending my detecting funds on new ones. I was in the drive way this morning thinking I am about as far away as I can get from detecting right now with this weather. Maybe some beach hunting in a couple of weeks.
February 02, 2011 11:41PM
I'm suffering with 68-Deg sunny weather......making the grass grow thick/tall/fat.
February 02, 2011 11:57PM
And one of the worst things about our hobby happens in bad weather like this. Guys start comparing detectors in their garage. Then we as a collective argue the results for a week. My Sovereign air tested three feet on a quarter today in my garage. I had a nice flat surface. The bed of my truck!
February 03, 2011 01:09AM
Tom's just being mean! smiling smiley

"Happy hunting" - Schultzie
February 04, 2011 01:53PM
Coldest December on record in Charlotte. Had a couple warm days in Jan. We are lucky to be on the south side of the fronts lately but there is time for that to change.
February 04, 2011 03:06PM
I recovered my brother inlaws big gold bracelet lost in the snow while working.

We have had several roof failures due to snow load.
February 04, 2011 08:30PM
That struck me funny goodmore, chuckelin every time I thought about that, you have a good sense of humor.
If Tom D. doesn't stop bragging about.......
February 04, 2011 08:44PM
his good weather.........I am going to start a ugly rumor on all the forums that he is going to have a open 'house party' for all detectorists in late February...............and that he will also be giving away free detectors. smiling smiley