Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Forest Land and the Feds

Posted by Lawrenzo 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Forest Land and the Feds
August 05, 2017 03:17AM
You're "friend" shouldn't have made YouTube video
> showing the Park Service sign that stated "he" was
> on a historic site ....

The sign didn't say historic site it stated it was a specific trail..not the area I hunted but the sign was in the video....my big mistake. The customer that had land up there has privet land and this trail runs through his land and is legal to hunt because I had his permission until I went past his boundary and ended up on federal land...not proud of what happened but lesson learned.

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
August 05, 2017 04:38PM
Tom_in_CA Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> pinenut Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> ..... I was given this information by the desk ra
> > nger at my local ranger station. .....
>
> Isn't this just so classic. Eh ? Shows that the
> whole thing is rather arbitrary and whimsical. G
> reat story. You could have asked another day, to
> another ranger , and gotten a completely different
> answer. Which is why I do not subject myself to a
> nyone's princely yes or no.

Exactly how I feel. I'm sure that if I were to ask every ranger around, one would be in a bad mood and say "no".

The way I approached the desk ranger to ask, was actually just casual conversation about the age of local campgrounds, hiking trails, etc. I bought a firewood permit and forest map from him, and brought up metal detecting in a round about way, telling him I like to detect as a hobby, looking for coins and dropped jewelery. Then, "Think anyone would mind if I did some detecting around here?"

All the rangers I've met up here seem pretty nice but you don't want to put a bug up their butt about the "evils" of metal detecting or detectorists.. The less they have to see, hear and think about us, the better off we are. I think "blending" is the operative word. You don't want to be like that troublesome bear that keeps raiding the campsites.. - Eventually they'll tag your ear and haul you off.
BTW - if I ever do get stopped and harassed for detecting here, I would tell the one citing me that I was told "go for it" by rangers "Rick" and "Jonathon" at the _____ station. Yes, there really was a ranger Rick there; a cool guy, who recently passed away.

I think most of the forest rangers around couldn't care less, so long as you're not making a jackass of yourself. What they don't want is you damaging the forest or leaving trash.

BTW - besides three silver Rosie dimes, several wheat cents, a couple early hot-wheels and Dinky cars, pocket knife, keys and some trash.. A "Paula Bunyan" keychain medallion was probably the coolest find at the "old ranger residence" location. Paula was the forest service's safety mascot, probably during the early '60s, created and drawn up by Smokey Bear artist Rudolph Wendelin. Ranger Jonathon thought it was pretty cool, too.

Dirty ol' Digger

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2017 04:44PM by pinenut.
August 05, 2017 07:36PM
I know I will get some Heat for saying this once again, But those YouTube videos are trouble. Before We lost are Forest Preserves these Clowns Use to Make Videos of them and there Buddy's Hunting the Forest Preserve Digging it up with Shovels. And guest what the Title of there Video's were?
Are You ready , Metal Detecting Cook County Forest Preserves. Then they had enough nerve to say that had nothing to do with losing them? Lmao.
August 24, 2017 01:34AM
Tom_in_CA Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Champ Ferguson Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Tom, as I have posted before, TVA (which is fede
> ra
> > l) routinely cites people for not only detecting
> b
> > ut even for picking up arrowheads
>
> Yes. We have had this discussion before. And I d
> on't doubt there was places where someone's actual
> ly enforcing something. No doubt because well-mea
> ning md'rs in the TVA went in asking silly questio
> ns 20 yrs. ago, so "BOL's" were perhaps issued for
> this supposed evil ? But in any case, sure: The
> re are places that will allude to ARPA and actuall
> y watch and enforce.
>
> But to go from isolated zones like that, to spread
> the word to never detect any federal land, is also
> an un-founded fear. For example Bado1 (Dean) , as
> you see from his post, hunts federal land w/o issu
> e. As do many others of us. So it could be a re
> gional thing. And the best advice that can be giv
> en to those in the zones where no one cares, is to
> KEEP IT A NON-ISSUE, by not drawing any attention
> to ourselves.

No Tom, as I have repeatedly said before, detectorists asking questions did not cause this with TVA. TVA is like this in Everything in every facet of life on "their" water and lands. I do wish you would stick to facts and quit playing "Lets Suppose" something and wanting to continue the discussion from there.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2017 01:34AM by Champ Ferguson.