Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Tom, would be a great idea if...

Posted by Idreamin3D 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Tom, would be a great idea if...
March 13, 2011 06:34PM
someone could design a coil that would connect to the Iphone or another smartphone via cable or the wifi at 2.4 GHz (for example the XP deus coil transmits the signal wirelessly at 2.4 GHz to the remote, but the processor is in the coil) smartphones have a very fast CPU and probably a better ability to process and analyze signals. All one has to do is write an application for the smartphone that would allow for an interface to control the detector. Seems like the technology in our smartphones is years ahead of the one in our detectors. The smarphone industry is improving technologically every year.

What is even more frustrating is that the detector manufacturers don't reveal the speed of the processors they use in their machines. Why is this such a big secret? All companies advertise improvements in the speed of their hardware, like faster processors, more RAM, etc... This is true with computers, phones, and almost every piece of electronic equipment. Why should metal detectors be different?

With metal detectors it's not the case. What does that mean for the new G2 to have "dual processors" are they the same speed as the one in the T2/F75 or are they 2 slower processors. Advertising the machine as having 2 processors makes it more appealing for buyers thats for sure, but what are we getting?

How do these processors compare to the ones in our smarphones/computers? Processors are not that expensive, the one in the iphone costs a few hundred dollars or less, and I am guessing it's more capable then the one in the F75, but I simply have no idea. But it's not just about processors, software and other things that make smarphones today a very powerful device that is much more powerful than the computers of 10 years ago.

I know there is no market for this because it's a losing situation for everyone. But just think about a coin that would plug into (or transmit to) your iphone, then you download an app that becomes and interface to your metal detector. That app can be updated with new improvements and different functions, (the XP Deus just had a free software update with new features). The transmitter and receiver would be in the coil, and the processor is the smartphone would be used to analyse the data. I have no idea if that is technologically possible or not, maybe some experts on here would know, but one can always go the XP Deus route and have everything in the coil, and the signal transmitted to a smartphone which would have the software to control the detector functions.

The iPhone has plenty of apps in the app store that use the built in sensors of the iphone to collect environmental data, it processes it and gives results (like the the metal detector app which has been available for a long time). Why not have a coil that transmits more sensitive data to the phone to be processed?

Any thoughts from people who know about electronics?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2011 09:02AM by Idreamin3D.
Re: Tom, would be a great idea if...
March 13, 2011 08:09PM
I dont know much about electronics, but I agree. There are so many fairly inexpensive upgrades that could be made on detectors, like, how about a GPS recorder? Or, as I thought about last night, How about a thumb drive that would record all of the readings during a search; you could pull the drive out of the detector, and plug it into a computer to analyze the ground, the search, etc. Ah, no, not a good idea. Beer can diggers dont know nuthin' about computing....
March 14, 2011 09:03AM
bump
March 14, 2011 04:02PM
I leave my phone in the truck when I am metal detecting. Don't need to be bothered when I am busy........

Tom in SC
March 14, 2011 08:23PM
how about a clock and a phone in the machine so when the wife calls to get your butt home because company is there, with head phones on I don't hear the phone, and get in trouble a lot, I could detect more if they could call me thru my detector, I could even be working at the same time, and while we are at it, how about a transporter, like in Star Trek, then we can save on gas smiling smiley and detect more
March 15, 2011 01:41PM
If only Dave Johnson had Bill Gates budget.

(( It would also help if every person on the planet would want a metal detector....as (nearly) is with cell phone )).
March 16, 2011 09:14PM
Tom, I never under stood that either, I can go with out a cell phone, you will have to pry the detector out of my dead dying hands smiling smiley