Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

One of the best Tip's I can offer for the AT

Posted by Keith Southern 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
One of the best Tip's I can offer for the AT
March 21, 2011 12:29AM
Dont swing it too fast.......

it has the uncany ability to go deep with just the slightest coil movement....I know the video's show people airtesting with quick speed for depth but in the ground slow way down ....Lot's of those hit's that are low iron tone when swung slow will become a sweet sounding tight high tone....

I cant believe how slow you can go and get depth.....I worked a spot the other day and recovered 12 target's minnie balls.58 and brass at great depth in a hunted hard spot ....just moving slow around obstacle's like brush and tall grass and such it is really awesome....just slide it up in hard to get to under bush's and such and just the slightest movement will sound off deep...
dont over swing it get the speed right ....experiment with your dirt...better dirt can get a little faster sweep...but in funky dirt it will get what's left behind with slow go....

it's little tricky to discern deep iron false from good deep high hit's but it can be done...

Audio is very unique on the deepies just like it is on un-masking....

even if the meter is showing say 50's it will give a faint high tone sonar type echo blip...when this happen's something good is coming up...

Keith
Re: One of the best Tip's I can offer for the AT
March 21, 2011 05:16AM
Guru Monte over on Findmall also recommends a slower sweep speed for the T2 in the heavily mineralized soil of OR-WA-ID-UT
March 21, 2011 08:52PM
The physics behind bad dirt......................for any brand detector...............requires a slower (and steady) sweep speed.
Hey Terra I know slow is deeper but on the T-2 I get
March 21, 2011 09:44PM
better depth with a quicker sweep once the target is encountered ...I have actually dug deep target's with the T-2 I would of left behind thinking it was iron till I sped up the sweep speed...

so every type dirt is going to be different....

Seems the At is very forgiving on sweep speed...but I find it works great going slower than I would normally swing ....

Keiht
March 21, 2011 10:04PM
"quicker sweep once the target is encountered"

Thanks for the tip Keith. Appreciate it.
March 22, 2011 04:34AM
So my dirt around here on the AT PRO reads 86 most every where I go. Is that hot dirt ?
March 22, 2011 07:23PM
GB reading of 86 is in the highest range according to the AT PRO manual. Highly ferrous (magnetite, ferrous oxide minerals, black sands, hot rocks, terra cotta.)
March 23, 2011 12:25AM
Hey Terry mine does that pretty much just balances around 89 all the time....I run it down to about 70-72 and I find it's deeper...run's fine like that a little chirpy but manageable...

strange G.B. system it has..

Keith
March 23, 2011 04:06AM
I'll give that a try the next time out Keith. Let you know how it goes.