Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Honest, no-holds-barred opinions please...

Posted by njnydigger 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Honest, no-holds-barred opinions please...
March 21, 2011 11:37PM
I am currently using the Omega 8000. As some of you know, I really like this machine a lot. However, it DOES have it's share of "quirks". Also, just a tad short in the depth department for my primary usage which is coin shooting. Specifically the deeper, older ones. So, I will be purchasing another detector in the next few weeks. Keeping in mind that I am primarily a coin hunter (older, not clad) who also chases relics as an off-shoot & likes to hit the beach 4 or 5 times per year, what detector of my two choices would you guys go with? Also, if anyone can give some pluses and minuses of each, that would be great...

It's either going to be the Fisher CZ-3D or the Minelab Safari. I had a Safari and loved it. However, it was confusing as heck, weighed a ton & nulled out often. But, kicking myself that I ever got rid of it as I DID find some excellent goodies with it. BUT, after watching Tom's awesome video and doing some heavy research, it seems that the CZ-3D can rival (if not beat) the depth & performance of the Minelab's. The CZ has multi-tone (which I really like) AND it includes nickels in the high tone range when in discriminate mode.

So, what would you guys go for? Real deal only please. Just because you own either brand, I still want the good and bad about it. I'm a working man just like you guys, so, this next purchase is going to be a BIG investment for me.

Thanks in advance smiling smiley
Re: Honest, no-holds-barred opinions please...
March 22, 2011 03:38AM
I am somewhat hesitant giving my opinion on this however
if you decide to get ML, personally I would get an Explorer.
They have more features and adjustments over the Safari.
This is JMO, check around and see if any are doing well
with the CZs in your area.
You can buy used and save a lot on either the Fisher or ML.
March 22, 2011 03:50AM
I'd get an older used CZ3d. Best coin shooter ever.
You can always get a ML, those are aren't going to go away.
The older serial numbers (1021 or prior) on the CZ3d's are getting harder to find.
Everyone wants them and those of us that have them don't give them up....... for good reason.
Either way, new or used I'd have Tom tune it up.
March 22, 2011 04:32AM
I have some feelers out on some "for sale" #1021's. If I can get my price, I'll be a happy man winking smiley From everything I've heard, read or seen, these CZ-3D'S - ESPECIALLY the 1021's - put every other detector out there to shame!!! I am SO glad I found this site smiling smiley The technical knowledge is truly astonishing. This forum makes the others look like kindergarden in terms of actual, verified, hard data science & testing. The other websites have religious sections and favorite food threads...need I say more?!?! Tom Dankowski is truly a guru in the metal detecting world. Closest you can come to being a rock star without being a musician. Now if only I can understand what he's talking about half the time smiling smiley Maybe he can do one of those "Dummies" books for me. LOL.

BTW, is it possible to "tune" a new CZ-3D to the same EXACT specs as the 1021's?

Thanks a million guys winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2011 04:33AM by njnydigger.
March 26, 2011 04:01AM
my opinion............. take the CZ-3D and swing away!!!!! Best machine, land, beach, relic,tots lots you name it it'll find it!!!!! My machine is a MONSTER!!!! dual freq, salt/enhanced! boost sound!!!! heres a tip if your swinging in all metal, and hear the low tone followed by a high tone or vis versa.. sweep a circle around the target with your coil.... if you get 3/4 high tone dig it!!!! or what I do is make a cross... high tone both ways DIG IT!!!!! did you see my other post?

Okay guys I have to brag! this afternoon, Me and my hunting buddy, nsbadge see us on (Metal Detecting Maine.com) (I'm cyclonecj2) Tested our machines in his test garden.. He used his F75ltd and me my CZ-3D. (his test garden has been there for about a year now) 25cents 10 inches planted. his machine..ddcoil 8x11 (is that the right coil size) his machine no problem, my machine salt mode, sens at 5, then 7, no problem!! then I raised my coil four inches off the ground... still ALL DAY!!!! 10 cents, 6 inches no problem!!!! 4 inches off the ground!!! still read it, perfect!!! 10 cents at 8 inches,with nail. no problem!!! 3 inches off ground still read it fine!!! all in salt mode!! his machine sens was at 80. no problems.. but his machine more chatter, mine quiet!!! also his V3i cant even get the 25 quarter??? sup with that???? LOL, he did say something about downloading a program....
My machine is a MONSTER!!!! easy to use!!!! I have the standard 8 inch coil, the 10.5 coil , and the 4 inch coil!! also I have the sunray probe. I tested these coins with sens at 5 and was getting them, but sounded better with the sens up to 7-8.... Also at a meet a few months back I had the opportunity to follow behind a Etrac. and let me tell you I heard every thing that his machine heard, but it was slow going.... Don't underestimate the power of the Fisher CZ-3D's (the older ones anyways)...... Thanks Tom!
March 26, 2011 04:03AM
[tulsa.craigslist.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2011 04:09AM by fisher cz-3d.
March 26, 2011 04:03AM
[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2011 04:21AM by fisher cz-3d.
March 27, 2011 07:53AM
this guy will get us thrown out of every park in the land!..(hot damn!)

(h.h.!)
j.t.
March 27, 2011 10:03AM
[www.youtube.com]

A hole that large...... Maybe its just me, but I can't bear to dig a hole that size in turf. Even when I have the landowner's permission. And I hunt alot of private property. A farm field....yes.....not turf. I truly hope you don't hunt public lands like that.
March 27, 2011 12:26PM
I dug and honest to goodness 9" inches for a wheaty yesterday with the Omega, ID'd at 82 - 83. It read two bars on the signal graph, so the Omega could have gotten it deeper, and I do not scrub the coil. Ground was 68, Sensitivity at 90, lots of EMI chatter. To me, D1 audio is the way to go to get max depth in trash or iron...D3 & D4 modes offer confusing or very weak responses on deep targets, with high tone iron falsing, and I sometimes don't know went to stop and investigate. The D1 responses on deeper targets are easier to hear, and they make me stop & consider. Try hunting for a hunt or two in D1 only (with 11" DD)...great separation in trash...and the Omega will go quite deep too.

At any park site...try hunting for a minute or two with no disc...this will let you know what you're contending with in the ground. If you are getting numerous targets with each swing, then there will be opportunities to pick out targets others have missed. You can then run up the disc, and let the DD coil slice through the targets until it finds the masked or co-located non-ferrous targets.

Best of luck to you, no matter what you're hunting with!

Eric (NH)
March 27, 2011 12:35PM
That oughta do the job---of getting us thrown out of the remaining parks that's left open to m.d.ing that is!-----That size of a plug and with a SHOVEL no less???-----Sure hope that wasn't hunted/filmed on public lands.-------Del