Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

garrett at pro- your folks thoughts

Posted by kasparov747 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
garrett at pro- your folks thoughts
April 28, 2011 10:15PM
I have a guy wanting to trade his new garrett at pro for my tek t2. just curious as to what you folks think about the at pro as ive not had one. overall do you feel it is as good os the tek t2 for a coin hunting machine in mild ground? any opinions are needed. thanks
Re: garrett at pro- your folks thoughts
April 28, 2011 10:23PM
Frank,

I have a thread titled GARRETT AT PRO that may contain/answer exactly what you are looking for.
April 28, 2011 10:44PM
thank you tom i will look it over. have a great evening and a great day tomorrow.
April 29, 2011 03:17AM
I tried it and tested it for about a week but liked the g2 better the guy I sold it too is going to test it against the G2 and we are going to see how each detector reacts to targets before they are dug..we will test depth and masking and tones...that may be in June

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
April 29, 2011 06:09AM
I'm by no means done testing my AT Pro, and I'm totally looking forward to putting the AT Pro up against LowBoys G2, it should be a fun test and we'll probably both learn something.

Here's a bit I recently posted elsewhere about my experiences with it thus far:

I've been playing with my AT Pro for about three weeks now. I hunted it hard yesterday, took it to several hunted out (by me - LOL) sites....I mean really hard hunted sites by some of the deepest seeking, iron vetting, fastest response time machines out there, and I found stuff they missed! While I didn't make any spectacular old silver coin finds or such, I found some nice relics at my adobe site that hasn't given up anything for a while (even got a 1937 wheatie there, but it pales to adobe period 1841 seated half dime I found there last year). I got a nice green teens wheatie from another hard hunted little site, and it was next to a big ole piece of iron. Going slow it was a decent signal, not a four star give me mind you, but good enough to dig. It was about 7-8" deep, I thought for sure it was going to be an 1800's Indian head when I saw the green disc at the bottom of the hole, but it was a deep wheatie.

While I haven't been able to confirm that the AT Pro is a depth demon in my haunts, it does do a pretty good job. It seems to hit very nicely on silver (surprising for a 15Khz machine), and is very good in iron (I think it's better in iron then my F75 LTD), although if you're in an iron field trying to grasp any non-ferrous signals mixed in with the jambalaya of rusted oddities, you're bound to dig a few pieces of iron in the pursuit of that masked silver.

Did they get a few things wrong? Yes they did, but they got a lot more right with it IMHO smiling smiley BTW, aside form their great Propointer, I never thought I'd buy a Garrett detector until the AT Pro came out.

Good luck on whatever machine you decide to swing!
Brian

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2011 06:43AM by Cal_cobra.
April 29, 2011 12:33PM
Garrett makes a good product and backs them up.Once they get the bugs worked out am sure it will hang in there with the big boys without the large price tag of many competitors.Reading researching and talking to fellow detectorists seems like its a different beast with newer innovations and imagine will entail a learning period.
As far as the T2 had an early one and seems to be a love hate kind of thing but many do well with them but do expect EMI whether it be in the ground or in the air.
Honestly only a decision you can make and hope the input has helped..
April 29, 2011 03:25PM
Great responce Cal I look forward to our hunt even Crosby is interested in coming up and hunting the housing I told you about...I would be happy with a draw even stephen so I am not out to prove the At is not a better machine but rather the G2 is a machine that I understand and sees what is in the ground...We will make a video and if I have to eat crow I am buying...Lets hope we have two great machines with a new machine coming in the near future...See you soon Cal..in June.

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
April 29, 2011 08:43PM
Frank, I'm not as knowledgeable as most of the guys here, but I have been running an AT Pro for over a month now, I get out about 3 to 5 times a week, so add up the time I have, most of my hunting sites are old farm fields, that have been over hunted by me, and perhaps others, what I like about the machine is it loves buttons, they come in around 50 up here and I dig everything 35 and above and it will find the deep buttons, since I got the machine I have found a button every time out, I have dug over 20 buttons this month, I find 20 buttons a year, it's tones are audible in iron, you here the good targets among the iron very well and that's where I've been hunting most, in these spots. I have dug 3 LCs and a 2 cent piece this month, these are all places I have hunted many,many times with my XLT and the XLT has been my main machine for 8 years now, the two things, I think that is different in the machines, is the Pro goes deeper and the iron separation, the other day I went out and was caught in a rain storm, I ran back to the truck, not because of the machine but I was soak to the skin, I drove down the road and hit the beach, it let up a little, I said , your wet let go hunting and hunted til it got dark, one thing that this machine has that I never used is a DD coil and the scanning seems easier too, and the last thing is the PRICE, I got kids

what I have a problem with is on the salt water beaches up here, it is too noisy, it might be my beaches, or I have it set up wrong, but I have to ground balance it, to 4 different setting on the beach, this is in the wet sand only, in the dry sand it's great and deep, I like to run the machine hot as possible and this might be a problem or there might not be anything at the beach, but with all my years beach hunting, there is always something at the beach.

One last thing, I'm pretty rough on my tools and this is just another tool to me, and I have put it thru a good work out and have had no problems with it, I have owned other Garretts and they all have seemed to be made tough and this seems to good that way too, I say trade with him for 2 months, each try each others out and if you like it buy one and have 2 detectors, a man can't have to many detector, right smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2011 08:47PM by Caretaker.