Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Witnessed it yesterday

Posted by markg 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Witnessed it yesterday
May 15, 2011 12:35PM
Took my Etrac to the bad lands yesterday. This is a local school where they have discarded the cinder waste for many years. Grass is very light, mostly very small pieces of waste everywhere. Started out on one side of the field with the sensitivity set to +3, the auto settings were showing 16 for the highest setting used, a minute or so later I looked down and it was on 8 with the bar on the right side barely visible. Switched over to manual sensitivity and the machine came alive with pops, cracks and many false signals. Never saw the high sensitivity setting that low before. This would explain why the F75 and LTD was so noisy even at sensitivity settings of 15. Ended up finding one mercury dime and two wheat pennies and a couple cheap rings. Had a great time. I'd hunted this area very well and was sure the LTD had not missed anything, but I was wrong.
Re: Witnessed it yesterday
May 15, 2011 01:34PM
It would have been be highly beneficial to 'head-to-head comparison' the F75 .... on those three coins......just to see/know.
Re: Witnessed it yesterday
May 15, 2011 02:30PM
Living in the coal region received permission to hunt an old coal breaker area...Mineralization at its worst had me quit quickly..yep all the local old yards are bad also as everyone threw the ashes in the back yard..Understand down South some of the clay areas are bad also..So indeed some areas are darn near impossible to hunt and just part of the hobby...