Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Is there REALLY any good app. for the 10" DD coil?

Posted by PulltabPirate 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Is there REALLY any good app. for the 10" DD coil?
June 03, 2011 04:44PM
I have the F75 LTD & the 11" 10" & 5" coils. I completely understand the apps. for the 11" & the 5" but I've never heard ANYTHING positive about the 10"er. Does anyone use this coil & why??

Been swingin' a White's since the 70's - 5 machines, Currently an XLT & Fisher F75 LE - 50,000 finds, 30,000 (or so) keepers. Published in the White's catalog. Always looking for good/decent hunting buds! Get in touch!
Re: Is there REALLY any good app. for the 10" DD coil?
June 03, 2011 05:19PM
Pulltab, when using the Omega a couple of years ago, I found out that I could run the detector hotter with the 10" than with the 11". It gave me more depth and was lighter than the larger coil. It is always easier to pinpoint
with a smaller coil also. I put the 11" up and never used it again. I was able to run about 80% sens on the 11" in a local park and with the 10" I could run 99. It is just something you will have to try out and decide for yourself where it will fit into your type of hunting. More depth with a smaller coil, who would have guessed?

Tom in SC
June 03, 2011 05:36PM
Actually the 10" coil is an elliptical concentric not a DD. It has it's advantages. For instance it's better around bottle caps (try both coils with the BC mode and you'll find that it's much easier to discern a bottle cap with the 10" elliptical concentric vs the 11" DD from the audio intel.
June 04, 2011 01:13PM
Correct. And the 11" DD coil is deeper than the 10" elliptical concentric.........as long as EMI does not hinder performance (especially with the 11" DD coil). Steel bottle caps takes a bit of ear-training (more difficult) with the 11" DD coil.
Detectors are different of course. On my White's Silver Eagle (stripped down XLT) with it's stock concentric coil. Take a bottlecap/iron that registers like a coin, when using a normal horizontal sweep. Then move the center of the coil (has to be the center) in a up/down motion directly over the bottlecap/iron. The audio simply blanks out. Do the same with a coin, and you get a positive audio signal. Benchtest your concentric coil to see if you get same effect. On my unit it will exhibit this behavior on a dime to about 6" and a bottlecap to 7". On depths more than this, the up/down discrimination doesn't work. Great for shallow/medium depth bottlecap/iron discrimination.