Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Listen to this BBC broadcast on Metal Detecting...

Posted by Idreamin3D 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Listen to this BBC broadcast on Metal Detecting...
June 07, 2011 07:19AM
And make up your own mind whether they know what they are talking about. I didn't realize that "in recent month there has been a breakthrough in metal detecting technology" and that now we can detect up to "18 inches unlike earlier when we could only detect to 8 inches"

What a bunch of crap, but they do bring up important questions that need to be defended by metal detectorists, otherwise pretty soon we won't have many rights left if people thing that metal detectors are these amazing machines that can easily find gold coins at 18"! Regular people just don't understand how hard it is to tell whats under the coil, and how much depth do we really get to where we only scratch the surface. Seems like most people think its as easy as walking around and hearing a signal and digging up treasure constantly.

[castroller.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2011 07:21AM by Idreamin3D.
Re: Listen to this BBC broadcast on Metal Detecting...
June 07, 2011 02:48PM
Interesting broadcast...thanks for the link.

I'm a little more sympathetic to the archeological preservation viewpoint being an amateur archeological hobbyist myself ... but I do understand that both sides will exaggerate their positions.

HH Joe
June 07, 2011 08:47PM
I am all for Archeological preservation, and against people who hunt at night and never report their finds, but if hunting becomes less restrictive the hobby is just going to go underground and even less people will report their finds. I tend to view the point made by the archeologist at the British museum as the best one, meaning that the items would have been destroyed by plowing or never found by archeologists in the first place, so by making these finds it allows archeologists to pinpoint spots worth excavating and brings in more artifacts into museums.
June 08, 2011 01:52PM
I support the archeologists except the view that they are justified by entitlement due to scientific yadda yadda yadda.
They simply don't want an amateur or a hobbyist stealing their thunder, glory and artifacts.
It wouldn't surprise me if they attempt to regulate the depth of hobbyist detectors imported into the U.K.
Many finds would never be found without a hobbyist with a detector.
June 08, 2011 02:11PM
If they regulate by depth that would be interesting as Minelab have really been pushing the depth for their advertising.

In the radio broadcast where they speak about 18 inches they referr to whispers and youtubes about the gpx at last corfe rally that have had some talks on the net, and on paul barfords blog.

Still, what we hear des dunne use is an explorer.

Maybe minelab have pushed it over the edge.

Depth pushing by minelab my ass btw....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2011 02:12PM by frnifo.