Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

In line probe and coil

Posted by FloridaBob 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
In line probe and coil
June 23, 2011 04:12PM
I am re-posting this response I gave to the "dismal 15" DD coil" test that was posted on the previous topic. I feel it should receive its own exposure and discussion from those who may have some positive or negative experiences to report. I might suggest you try removing the probe on your machine and seeing if you have any results to report... good or bad. Granted, EMI is a tricky beast and it manifests itself differently from so many different environmental factors.....but seeing for yourself any change would be worthwhile....and possible reasons for it. Here was my response to the previous post on the "dismal 15" coil".

I noticed your test setup configuration showed the Sunray FX-1 probe attached and inline with your coil. In my personal experience I have found that my F75 LTD SE runs a bit quieter in an EMI environment when I remove the probe and directly attach the coil wire to the control box. I do not own the 15" coil but I would be very interested to see your personal results with the probe in line for both coils (as you have done) and the probe removed for bench testing both coils. I am in no way discrediting the probe.....it is certainly a well made and valuable tool in the field...it is just my experience that EMI chatter increases with the probe in those situations where EMI has some effect on your response. Thanks for taking the time for the video! This type of documentation is valuable to us all. Hope you might have time to consider doing the "new" test as described.

Thanks again,

FB
Re: In line probe and coil
June 23, 2011 06:07PM
This makes me wonder if the wiring and the control box of the probe is shielded. I will open one of them and see if the box is shielded. If not it would be easy to do with some shielding paint or copper tape.

I too think that the units are extremely well made and I have two of them that I use all the time.
Re: In line probe and coil
June 24, 2011 11:50AM
I too....can verify that EMI is increased a bit with the inline probe installed. I 'question' its wire shielding.
......If I choose to use a pinpointer, I prefer a external/separate/independent unit. ..........Food-for-thought.