Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

CZ-3D Problem, anyone ever seen this before?

Posted by Hungarian 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
CZ-3D Problem, anyone ever seen this before?
June 27, 2011 03:18AM
First off I had brand new batteries in it. Using the detector this evening it stopped giving me an audio response even when waving a quarter in front of it. I wondered if my headphones were bad so I unplugged them and still no response from the speaker with volume maxed out. After turning it on and off twice it started working again. About 8 minutes later it did the same thing, so I unplugged my headphones, reset the machine (on/off) a couple of times and it started working again. I then kept my headphones unplugged and used the speaker and about 3 minutes later the same thing happened. Do you think i have a flaky switch or could something else inside be going on? Thanks in advance for your help.
Re: CZ-3D Problem, anyone ever seen this before?
June 27, 2011 03:42AM
Hi,, It's highly possible that you have a bad potentiometer....The next time it does it try wiggling the volume control while you are passing a coin by the coil....If it comes in then you have a bad potentiometer on & off switch....JJ
June 27, 2011 03:52AM
When your unit fails..........Go straight to 'batt test'......as this bypasses all electronics.......and tests the power supply (the batteries). (((( Your battery compartment 'springs' may be weakining )))). If you hear no audio.....and see no needle deflection.........you have no DC.
June 27, 2011 04:30AM
Thanks for the help, its too late to do anything tonight but I will let you guys know what I find. I really appreciate your information !
June 27, 2011 12:52PM
Personally would clean the battery contacts buy a brand new set of batteries and test the integrity of the batterry compartment. No one mentioned a bad coil and would indeed try another coil on it as certainly couldn't hurt and one bad solder joint on the connector which sometimes makes contact and then doesn't could certainly cause this on and off again detection of a coin...
June 28, 2011 11:22PM
Well having my little girl be the coin holder I tested every switch, knob setting, auto-tune and battery checker and now can't get it to mess up. In all metal I also gently moved the cable around and it performed fine. Now ...before i got started I took off the coil connetor aand reconnected it....but this time turned it a little tighter. I wonder if that was the problem, but I won't know unless it messes up again....but i just thought of something, ill connect it like i had and see if that causes it...I'll be right back!
June 29, 2011 02:33PM
It ended up being that the coil connector was not tightened enough. Thanks for the help guys!
June 29, 2011 03:40PM
Do I get an attaboy as even a bad solder joint to the coil connector can cause major problems and in this case could have indeed been a bad coil..No tightening with pliers guys...just hand tighten and a common ink eraser that can be sharpened does a good job cleaning the contacts...if they still make them with all the modern typing technology available...
June 30, 2011 12:04AM
Dan-Pa. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> and a common ink eraser that can be sharpened does
> a good job cleaning the contacts...if they still
> make them with all the modern typing technology
> available...

Amazon has a “Faber-Castell Eraser Stick With Brush” for $2.15 each. In the good old days, you got a lot of them for that price.

Jim
July 07, 2011 01:43AM
Well, I have the worse luck. Problem is back after i thought it was gone forever (sigh). Any other ideas? I feel sick to my stomach over this.
July 07, 2011 05:54AM
If possible.............try my recommendation above.