Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Question for Tom Re air test on CZ

Posted by turtleman 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Question for Tom Re air test on CZ
July 20, 2011 11:55PM
Would detecting a dime at 12" in salt water dry sand be the same as doing an air test or does the sand matrix skew the results?

Thanks
Tom
Re: Question for Tom Re air test on CZ
July 21, 2011 11:39PM
Good/valid question.

I have tested coin depths in dry sand at Cocoa Beach and Daytona Beach..............and my results are identical to air-tests. Now..........if you hit wet sand at ........ say........ 8" deep; this will 'skew' the data. If it's a couple of feet deep of dry sand....... this silica base is just like testing glass.....or air.
July 22, 2011 02:54AM
Thanks Tom

i was looking at buying a barely used CZ5, and the gentleman in Tennessee said that in his test garden it would hit a dime at 7 3/4 inches in his highly mineralized dirt and 12 inches in salt water sand. He just did an air test for me and only got 8 1/2 inches which is sub par I believe.
He did not specify how accurate the test in the sand was, but something seems amiss.
Looking for a replacement for my CZ 6A.

Thanks
Tom
July 22, 2011 11:39AM
12" in dry sand.................and 8.5" in an air-test. Hmmmmmmmmmm. Not logical. Too much disparity.
July 22, 2011 12:26PM
Silent EMI rearing it's ugly head could potentially create similiar results could it not? Perhaps an air test in the same vicinity of the test garden would be in order as I'm assuming his air test would have been done inside of his home?? Just a thought.
July 24, 2011 12:54PM
Correct.

Also....... Metal in a table, floor rebar, wiring in walls etc..... that is too close to coil ...will alter test-results.