Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Hurricane Irene

Posted by ozzie 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Hurricane Irene
August 27, 2011 03:31PM
I live in Southeast Pa. about 30 miles north of Philadelphia. It's about 11:10 am and it started spritzen rain and getting breezy.They predict we will get 50mph winds with gusts to 70mph. I should have gone out early to detect when it was just cloudy.

I did hit a new spot yesterday with my cz and found my first silver, 'with that machine'. Just a 1930 merc about 5" deep. I suspect the area has fill because the boulder tops are barley breaking the surface, where as the surrounding land, the boulders are resting on top. The area has a stone house built in 1903 but there was a mill behind it over a old stone bridge. The mill was in operation in the 1800"s and the dam is still there, up stream. The homeowner also told me there are big bass in the pond above the dam and to check it out.

I'm seriously thinking about going to Jersey on Monday and hitting the beaches. It will depend on the damage from Irene. My biggest worry are the big trees around my house. When the rain soaks the soil then the wind blows hard, the big hardwoods have a tendency to uproot and topple. They can do serious damage to a house. They say Irene will be here around midnight to 8am.....I won't be sleeping.
Re: Hurricane Irene
August 27, 2011 03:41PM
I know how you feel Ozzie. I'm in Northern NJ - about 10 minutes from Manhattan. We're pretty much expecting a direct blow...sustained 70 to 75 mph winds, major flooding, downed trees, widespread power outages. I got all my necessities ready (water, candles, etc.), but, I really hope I DON'T need them. Once the last drop of rain falls I will be leaving my house headed for the Jersey shore. I might not even be able to get on a beach though. The Governor shut the parkway down starting at exit 98 south - all of the beach towns sad smiley When it will re-open is anybody's guess. Also, depending upon how severe & widespread the damage is, could potentially be days before anyone's allowed on the beaches. I for one hope not winking smiley Good luck & BE SAFE!

Joe
August 27, 2011 04:10PM
Dear Ozzie, NJNY, Dan and the rest of our good brethren up that way in the path,

First and foremost be safe and honker down. You guys don't get many of these and its a small one at CAT1 but still take precaution. Find the best structurally sound room in the house, away from the reach of the big tree or limbs. Lower the blinds in that room, pull the curtain and place plywood, a mattress, box spring against the window and place heavy furniture in front of that to shield from glass and debris if it blows out. You are trying to make one room your safe room. If your garage is attached that often becomes the weak like in the structural integrity of the home. Once the wind blows in the garage door (which is structurally much weaker than the house itself), you get an uplift effect and then an overpressure and POOF. I like to park my car in the garage, close the garage door, put the car in neutral and back it against a 4x4 post that I have nailed to a 4x8 sheet of plywood that makes direct contact to the structural members of the garage door. Roll the car back to pull pressure from the bumper onto the 4x4 and engage the handbrake in Park position. This significantly strengthens that weak link.

The sweetest sound I ever heard was the first time my ice maker turner on and plopped the first cubes when electric was finally restored after one of our big blows several years ago. After 7 full days of living with no electric on a porch, walking to a Red Cross truck for some warm meals (THANK YOU Red Cross) you get religion quick. Those cubes were the first sign of normalcy returning...kindof.

Be safe guys and don't do anything stupid!.....oh..and keep the mosquito repellant handy long with the baby wipes to bathe with.

You are ALL in our thoughts...

Florida Bob
August 27, 2011 06:30PM
Bob, you're right about us not getting many huricanes here. Thanks for thinking of us.

njny, I may head to Mantoloking or more south say to Beech Haven. There were over 200 shipwrecks in that 42 mile stretch. What are your thoughts?