Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Old Gold Bug 2 vs, New GB 2 How to tell?

Posted by Pawnbroker _Bob 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Old Gold Bug 2 vs, New GB 2 How to tell?
September 11, 2011 08:08PM
How do you tell the difference between and old and new Gold Bug 2?

Thx,
PB

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2011 08:10PM by Pawnbroker _Bob.
Re: Old Gold Bug 2 vs, New GB 2 How to tell?
September 11, 2011 10:42PM
Don't know what you mean by "New GB 2". There is the new Fisher Gold Bug Pro, and it's sibling the Teknetics G2. Is one of these machines the one you are referring to? The old Gold Bug 2 is a 71 kHz prospector's machine; the new "Pro" is a lightweight, digital, discriminating 19 kHz gold/multi-purpose unit (as is the G2 -- same unit as the Gold Bug Pro internally, but comes mounted on a different rod configuration, and comes stock with the 11" DD coil, versus the 5" DD that comes stock on the Gold Bug Pro). Just to add confusion, there is also a Fisher Gold Bug DP -- which is simply a Gold Bug Pro, but one which comes stock with the 11" DD coil (like the G2), instead of the normal Gold Bug Pro w/ stock 5" DD.

Clear as mud?! smiling smiley

Steve
September 12, 2011 12:47AM
I would say the easiest way is, any of the new, current versions of the Gold Bug ( be it SE, Pro, DP etc.) have a target ID screen, whereas the older, Gold Bugs did not. Someone correct me if I am mistaken.

If you want to know the version of the new Gold Bugs with the ID screen, I believe you can hold the ground balance button down while you turn the unit on, and the version number will appear.
September 12, 2011 01:18AM
He is likely referring to the prospecting models, not the new lower frq/metered ones.
September 12, 2011 03:54AM
The difference would be in were they were manufactured. Old units Los banos, Calf.
September 12, 2011 04:27AM
Let me clarify a little... In one of the other threads Tom discusses using a GB 2 on a beach for micro gold. Tom makes reference to "the older Gold Bug 2" as being the machine to use. My logical mind assumes "old" being different from an new off the shelf Gold Bug 2. Similar to the 1021 CZ's The pro not being considered at all.

Is my thinking incorrect? Perhaps Tom may have to chime in.
September 12, 2011 10:05AM
I usually refer to the "old" Gold Bug-2 ...... so as to make sure folks are not thinking I am talking about the Gold Bug..... or new Gold Bug (SE/Pro). The old Gold Bug-2 operates at 71-Khz. No other detector operates at this (high of a) frequency. And ....... yes ........ there are FRL Los Banos models and FTP (El Paso) models.
September 12, 2011 01:43PM
Thank you Tom for the clarification. I think I am going to have to dust off the GB 2 and take it for a whirl in the local beach. .
September 12, 2011 04:21PM
Make sure you invoke 'iron Disc'...... then...... hit the sandy volleyball courts.
September 13, 2011 02:10AM
I am going to give it a try. Nice light fluffy sand by the VB courts. A hundred feet away, where the wind has blown away the fluffy stuff it's harder, darker and a side strata view looks like an alternating chocolate and white layer cake. With my CZ21 I have to re-GB four times from the boardwalk to the water.

Tom, do you think a 20 mesh screen? Will I be digging every minuscule piece of foil? =( Might take me a week just to work 2 courts. lol

Thanks for your coaching,

PB
September 13, 2011 03:08AM
It is critical you find (and use) a completely plastic sifter with holes in it..... not much bigger than salt&pepper shaker holes!!! Otherwise... you will HATE this 'type' of hunting.
September 13, 2011 03:51AM
Yes, I have one I use to re-sift sand of targets that fall through my regular scoop. No dug target goes unidentified.....