Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

First hunt with the 3D since tune up

Posted by Beach 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
First hunt with the 3D since tune up
October 01, 2011 09:23PM
First off, Tom thanks for the quick turnaround(4 days). I had a little time this morning for a short hunt and needed to try out the new hipmount setup anyway. The target ID ( meter and tones) is more accurate,and there is less wandering on the tones. I dug every repeatable tone(still learning this machine) and every square tab I dug was ID'd correctly. I haven't dug any deep coins yet to see how deep its going to be, but it is definitely hitting harder on the ones at at moderate depth, I will take it as a positive sign that my first target dug was a nickel(high tone). This hunt was in enhanced mode and if time permits this week, I'll be on the beach in salt mode.
Re: First hunt with the 3D since tune up
October 01, 2011 11:06PM
Beach, first hunt you can see a difference, that's exciting. Any notes from Tom about your 3d that you can share?

The 3d always amazes me. I was at an old stone Mennonite schoolhouse built in the 1700's that I've hunted several times with other top brand machines... never found any old coins and couldnt figure out why.. I thought that maybe there was fill dirt placed around the small 50' x 100' area. There are iron nails directly around the building and they are 8" to 10"s deep. Anyway, I figured I'd try the 3d there, went around the building and of course got low tones, falses but no diggers. I wandered away from the heavy iron and got a repeatable 3rd tone (high mid) dug down 9" and pulled out a copper coin the size of a large cent, unidentifyable. I could see a silhouette facing right so if it is a large cent, its either late 1790s or very early 1800's.

When I waved the coin 12 inches from the coil I got a repeatable high tones, as I got closer to the coil the tone dropped down one, to a high mid tone, even at 2"s from the coil. All other coppers found with the 3d, always gave a high tone, even the ones as worn as this one. Any thoughts guys?
I
October 03, 2011 02:13PM
May be a token.......... as they will act this way ... with quite a few of them. OR...... is a heavily corroded large cent.
October 03, 2011 02:53PM
Ozzie, the only notes I have is what needed attention, apparently the salt mode had some issues with the nickel window and the zinc/high coin window being out of spec, which he reset. The other issue was the dirt that was inside, which is why I asked about covering the speaker grill on another post. He reports it will hit a clad dime at 12" now. I the only place I hunted so far was a home site from the late 40's, which I'm rehunting to see what I missed first the round, I'm looking forward to hunting a couple older sites I have lined up.